Iliopsoas Muscle - Stretch Exercises

Erny

I have a strong, partly confirmed suspicion that my boy's iliopsoas muscle is too tight and that it is becoming worse.

I also believe that this is in part responsible for the digestive woes he has experienced and to some degree, still experiences. His current diet and accompanied supplements have worked wonders, but I think if I can work to improve the iliopsoas muscle, this may add further improvement to what I've already attained, not to mention better and easier movement in his gait.

I have looked into stretch exercises for the iliopsoas muscle and have found two :

1. Using steps : rear feet on bottom step; front feet on third step up (i.e. two steps in between front and back feet - he's a large breed dog). 30 seconds; break; repeat. I do this at least twice a day - more often if I can.
  2. Sit on hill/slant. Both on the down angle and on the up angle. I haven't worked on this one yet.

I also stretch by gently taking his rear leg, folding in and up, then slowly stretching backwards, supporting the knee as I go.

Any criticisms?

Any added recommendations?

PS - I plan on introducing a wobble board as part of his remedial exercise. Just got to get me a wobble board :D.

Edited by Erny