Gate Access At Canberra Royal Dog Show

repoed

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE ACCESS GATE AT THE CANBERRA ROYAL OPEN PLEASE SEND AN E-MAIL REQUESTING SAME TO

[email protected]

To Whom it May Concern,

I would like to congratulate the organisers of the 2014 Canberra Royal Dog Show. The event appeared to run smoothly and the grounds were in great condition. Most competitors I spoke to were full of praise with the exception of one thing which was spoken about by numerous local and interstate exhibitors. I heard a number of exhibitors indicate that unless the matter was addressed then they would not be returning.

The access gate from the car park into the grounds was locked for the duration of the show. This being the access gate nearest to the main road. I show dogs at the grounds all year round and this the only time that it is closed. It is also the busiest show of the year. Whilst I understand the reason for the gate being closed in that it would require more personnel to man the gate which is an added cost to your organisation, I feel that perhaps personnel could be sourced from somewhere else at the show. I noted that at times there were four or five personal (mainly young girls) on the main entrance to the dog section. Perhaps one or two of these staff could be utilized at the other gate. As it is only dog exhibitors that utilize this gate and the hoodlum element is not an issue I am sure that one person could easily man the entrance to check exhibitors stamps upon entering.

Please be mindful of the large amount of equipment that dog exhibitors are required to bring onto the grounds. This includes such things as, gazebos, trolleys, eskys, grooming boxes and dog cages. I would also like to point out the problem when having to leave the dog section by the main gate back into the car park. The severe slope that exhibitors have to go up. I witnessed a number of elderly exhibitors having difficulty in going up that slope and well as going down it when arriving. It is safety issue which cannot be overlooked. I witnessed exhibitors getting a run up and having to push their trolleys with some effort to make it to the top. As I was leaving I had to assist four separate people to enable them to get their trolleys up the ramp to exit the grounds. I also had to support one exhibitor who nearly fell over in attempting to negotiate the incline. If the access gate referred to was open then this would alleviate the problem.

Please feel free to contact me by telephone to discuss the matter further.

I look forward to your reply.

Kerry Hopkins

Ph. 0418-572627

[email protected]

Well said. I will send an email. My OH helped numerous struggling exhibitors with trolleys over the weekend - he could have been busy all day!

Also of concern was so many people leaving past the marshalling areas for Group and General Specials on the Sunday. So many dogs and people and trolleys and gear all on the one footpath...

Also bizarre having the dog exhibitors drive to the back entrance, past the locked dog carpark gates, with members of the public, horse and cattle floats etc and then negotiate the busy carparks all the way back up to the dog parking area. Not sure who dreamed that up but it took me 30 minutes on Saturday to get from the gate to the dog parking area... With the amount of staff on the gates, and the large and clear vehicle passes issued to exhibitors, surely they could have been channelled in through the front gate and reduced a huge amount of congestion.

I'm really not sure who dreams this stuff up...

Oh, possibly some portaloos in the vicinity so that next time the toilet block backs up, overflows and gets locked there is somewhere alternate...? Bizarre idea I know... :confused:

Every year we complain about the bottom gates and every year the same excuse. At least they opened it for a short time on Sunday afternoon this year which is a start. But yes, it is a safety issue with that slope and also not good to have people trying to move gear along that one path. Particularly as many need to do it while group or general specials judging is happening. I know a few people that won't show at Canberra any more due to them getting heatstroke in the afternoon trying to get all their gear back to the car from the bottom rings. It is a great show, but the issues getting in and out always make me think twice. I only entered one dog this year as I didn't want to cart the extra gear down the hill.

Edited by espinay2