How Did You Get On Top Of Biting?

TCB

I have an Aussie too - and she was (and can still be) mouthy. As LisaCC mentioned above - they are a herding breed and genetically wired to nip and use their mouths, so it is important to acknowledge this whilst still knowing it is unacceptable behaviour.

With our Aussie, her key is the excitement/arousal level. When she crosses her threshold of excitement she turns into a piranha. Our solution is 2 part:

1) lower the energy level when she starts to get worked up. So instead of wrestling/jumping/movement based games we move to 'quiet time' where she is in a down position and I give her long pats etc. This comes with practise and observation of your dog and their behaviour patterns.

2) if we stuff up (1) and she goes over threshold then the game ends immediately and she gets put outside. (I prefer this to the crate as I want the crate to be a good place at all times, never a 'punishment'). This way she is learning that if she does get mouthy then it means all the fun stops immediately and the humans won't play anymore.

I totally agree with what the others are saying re: no skin vs soft skin contact. For me, I'm happy to have very soft teeth on skin as I believe it helps bite inhibition. But I have a very clear line on what is/isn't acceptable and I also don't have any children or small pets. If I did I would consider the 'no teeth on human skin' rule.

Sounds like you are on your way - enjoy your new puppy!