Long Bodied Dogs

KJJ

one of my dogs is a BC x corgi and has a relatively long body with short legs. I'm afraid to say it never really occurred to me that his build might mean that he might have to avoid or use caution with some activities (it was only when I read a post about a similar dog that it became apparent). What sort of precautions are suggested? We live in a two storey house and he happily races up and down the stairs during zoomies with our other dog, he is also as agile as would be expected for a BC - should I be trying to limit some of his activities?

Working on exercises to strengthen the core muscle is a preventative measure against injuries. Google "Clean Run" and search for "Egg Ball" or "Peanut Ball" and have a look through the short video footage there. I purchased an Egg Ball recently, along with some educational DVD's and it was mentioned that this style of low/nil impact strengthening exercise is recommended for long backed dogs such as daxxies etc.

Not exactly the answer to your question, but more a case of what "to" do rather than only looking for things to avoid.