Pet Food Standards In Australia

Hi all,

I have been told that there are new (not sure exactly how new) standards/regulations for producing and labeling pet foods and meat in Australia. I always thought that we didn't have standards here so was interested to have a read. Does anyone know where you would find these new standards? The only info I can find online is a standard that you have to pay for in order to view which is odd. I don't think many pet owners would pay for them! Also do pet food and meat companies have to comply with these standards or are these just guidelines?

All pet food/treats must comply with HACCP regulations and PRIMESAFE. There is no specific pet food standard but all must follow the above which is also the standards for human consumption meat. It's been in action for many years :)

Also, each establishment has inspections usually every 6 months. It's fairly strict too. If products are supplied to woolworths ANOTHER standard is added, called WQA.

Th Coles standard is called SQF. Hope this helps. I used to work in the industry.

There is no new standard on the manufacturing and labelling of Pet Food in Australia. There has been in place for some years the Australian Standard - it is AS5812-2011. This Standard replaced the PFIAA Code of Practice. There are audit requirements under the Standard re the places of manufacture.

Like all Australian Standards, you do need to pay for it. However it is a technical document - so it is not really designed for general use as it is what the manufacturers etc use to ensure products are compliant. The PFIAA website does contain some information too.

In addition to this, those in the pet industry must also comply with the Consumer Law in relation to not making misleading and deceptive claims etc. There is also a requirement to comply with the APVMA Regulations so far as not making therapeutic claims about pet food if it is not a registered product - dental claims for example.

Finally, the Weights and Measurements legislation may also have some applicability.

The standards above re Woolies and Coles only apply if you were making a product for them - it would apply to someone who is making their own products and selling to them. I don't know what PRIMESAFE is and note that HAACP plans are dealt with as part of the standard.

So yes - locally companies are supposed to comply with AS5812.

Edited by Danois

Ok thanks for the info. I guess my friend was wrong about it being a new standard. Was just interested as I heard America has strict standards for pet food but Australia there are not as strict regulations.