Treadmill Training For Dogs.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a human treadmill for their dog?

I would like to get one for myself so I can still exercise on very wet days. I thought it would be good if my dog could also use it on the occasional days that I can't take her out.

In summer I usually take her out twice a day plus she swims in the pool. So she is quite fit. In winter she gets a good walk in the morning and if I have time an afternoon walk.

I believe I would have to get a rather long treadmill. But how long would that be? And is it difficult to train them to feel comfortable on one?

Thanks in advance :)

We use a human one for ours (as well as other exercise and games) I assume from your user name that you have a Doberman? This will definitely make it more difficult to pick up a bargain as you would definitely need a long one. We have Staffords so need a wider one :) As for what size - measure how long your dog is from front of the front feet to the back of the back feet then double it at the VERY least. This is the belt length to be looking for. Width, we have a 40cm one and that's good because it allows them to move from side to side safely.

I've always found it pretty easy to teach a dog to use a treadmill, but you need to be patient with some. We have modified ours as it's only for the dogs, by putting a sheet of chip board on both sides to create two walls. There is a bar across the top of these two walls to clip a lead onto so the dog can't get too far forward and put it's foot up on the front of the treadmill (on the housing). I've always found that if they can't reach out fully in front they get very uncomfortable and hate the whole experience - the back end isn't important since when the back foot is out behind the dog it's not on the ground so it's not important if it's still over the belt of the treadmill or "hanging out in midair" so to speak. Start with the treadmill against a wall so there's only one way for the dog to bail. You'll probably do best with two people. Stand the dog on the belt, lots of treats then let him get off. Repeat until he's comfortable with the whole experience. Start the treadmill but only as slow as it will go, feed the dog treats while holding it on the treadmill if you have to (this is where two people come in handy). If the dog starts to walk, even if not very well, I find it easiest to speed up the treadmill straight away (but not more than a quicker walk) so the dog has to think about moving it's feet rather than think about ways to bail out. For the first few days even when the dog is comfortable with the whole idea, only do 20 or 30 seconds to start with as it's easy for them to get distracted, start going backwards and panic.

An old greyhound man told me once that if you have a very stubborn dog you can usually get it going on a treadmill by holding the back legs up to start with (arm under the loin), but that may not be all that easy with a big dog.

Edited by Sandra777