Sheepdog Training Hunter Region Nsw

Hi all;

I am trying to find a sheepdog training group to join in the Hunter region of NSW where I can continue training my kelpie. Does anyone know of anyone I can get in touch with as I can't seem to find anything online. Thanks so much for your help.

Whereabouts are you? It is mostly cattle country and you have to head out towards scone or singleton for any sheep blokes willing to give lessons. We are at Port Stephens and Sydney is our closest venue for sheep work. A real shock to the system moving up here last year from near Canberra where there were a number of great 3-sheep triallers willing to give lessons.

Hi;

Yes I agree! We are in the process of moving to Maitland. I would of thought that there would be more of an opportunity up the Hunter way however it appears I may have been wrong! We currently train out in the Hawkesbury district which is great but I think it is going to be too far to come each weekend. Canberra/Yass is gorgeous. That is a very big move for you! We would be happy to travel out Singleton/Scone way. Used to the travel so that would be great if it means we can keep training. I appreciate the reply, thanks so very much.

Edited by Chizel

What sort of work are you looking to do with your dog? If it is ANKC style then you are probably best to continue at Hawkesbury or Erskine Park. If you are after proper work then someone like Alison Burrell in the Hills area could be worth trying. Sydney will be much closer for you than Scone or Singleton and I don't actually have any contact details for anyone there, have just heard that there are sheep guys there :)

We have given up, we are moving to Clarence Town in a few months and will get our own sheep!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the reply. We are here now and moved in which is great! Singleton is only a half hour drive from where we are. The hawkesbury is just too far to travel to each weekend so finding somewhere in an hour radius would be great. I'm trying to get in touch with tocal agricultural college as some locals have suggested that they may be able to point us in the right direction. Speaking with them on Tuesday and happy to report back what I find out. Clarence town is not far from us either. Would be great if we had some land to do the same. In time I hope! :)