Goodbye My Wombat

SpikesPuppy

My dear sweet squooshy wombat of a rat, Wesley, went to the 'Bridge just after 7:30am this morning.

Somehow the cage door came unlatched and he and Doyle came tumbling out. Doyle was fine (vet checked him out) but Wes was not so lucky. We think he broke his neck. But he was gone in an instant so we know he didn't suffer.

I didn't go to bed until just after 6am this morning, that was the last time I saw him alive. I am thankful though that I gave him cuddles and told him how much I loved him before I went to bed, as I do to each of them before I go to bed.

He was to celebrate his 2nd birthday on May 20th, we will still celebrate, in honour of this gorgeous, sweet boy.

He chose me from the 'feeder' bin when he was 4 weeks old. He was such a relaxed, special boy. He was big, but not huge. His eyes 'boggled' when he was cuddled. He was definately the alpha rat- he was such a gentle leader though. The others had so much respect for him it was obvious. He had his gorgeous quirks, like when he'd had enough 'free range time' (usually after 10 minutes) he would plop off the couch and meander over to the cage and attempt to climb up the shelves to 'go home'. He loved going places- he went to the Million Paws Walk last year and spent the whole day down my jumper with his head poking out the neck.

And he so resembled a little wombat in appearance. Hence his nickname of 'Wombat'.

The other 3 who live with him said goodbye- poor Connor is the most upset. He was licking and pawing at Wes' mouth and face, while the other 2 were pushing his body gently with their noses. But I had to let them know what happened.

We are buying a nice pot and special flower tomorrow to bury him in.

He will be sadly missed.

:rainbow: run free sweet boy!

RIPWes2.jpg

4ratsbox.jpg

WesleyDoyleClose.jpg

WesStand1.jpg

Guest cloverfdch

Oh no :scold:, i am so sorry to hear the bad news. Wesley sure was a special little Rattie.

Play nicely at the bridge little man :laugh: .

:)

Guest LittlePixie

Ohh I am so sorry. :thumbsup:

They take up a huge section of your heart, totally out of proportion to how little they really are.

He can squish around in the clouds now with my boys. :cry:

Sleep sweet Wes.

Thank you everyone :thumbsup:

It's been a hard 2 days because it was such a shock to lose him ( I knew he would be the first as he was the oldest but to lose him so tragically is just not right), but it's getting easier. It helps to post little tribute to him- to share him with the World.

LP- I reckon Ratty-heaven's getting to be a bit of a party place hehe. All our gorgeous fuzzbutts having so much fun getting into so much mischief (though I reckon Wes' version of heaven is an endless pile of Rice bubbles!)