Buprenorphine

koolietas

Hi All

My old peke girl had an injection of Buprenorphine about 1.30am this morning as she was experiencing some discomfort in her abdomen (she had been intermittently panting and pacing during the afternoon and evening and had also gone off her food but was still drinking). I should also mention she was diagnosed with Thrombocytopenia about three weeks ago and has been taking Imuran and Prednisolone since (red blood cells and platelets were checked last night and all good).

She has been very sedate today...hasn't had anything to eat or drink. I took her to the vet earlier this afternoon, and they agreed that it was likely an adverse reaction to the Buprenorphine and hopefully by the time 24 hours has passed since the injection she will be back to normal...otherwise she will need to be admitted at the after hours vet and placed on a drip.

Wondering if anyone else's dogs have experienced a reaction to this drug?

sorry, I have no idea about 'Buprenorphine', I didn't even know that it is used for dogs;...could it be that the panting was just caused by high humidity?... we had a very high humidity during the last day and also this morning in our area (Illawarra) and the impact the humidity had on my dog and also on other dogs in the obedience training this morning was significant, every dog was more panting than usual...

I haven't had it prescribed to my dog, but I'm on similar medication for back pain and a common side effect is nausea.

I that hope she's feeling better and eating and drinking in the morning.

I know my first experience with similar medication had me feeling pretty terrible