General Golden Retriever Questions

phpdoglover

Hi everyone,

This is my first on this forum and I've just signed up to do some research into my venture into finding the perfect pup.

I have grown up with Golden Retrievers and absolutely love them to bits. I know they're a breed that can be a little bit more work than some but I believe the benefits far outweigh the work/money.

I was hoping to call upon some fellow dog lovers to point me in the right direction.

So, my only questions are as follows:

1. What breeders would you recommend? I live in the ACT but I would be willing to travel interstate to find a pup. I am after a reputable breeder who sires a line that is quite "golden" in colour - I've always been a fan of the darker golds and I understand that there are various types of goldens (i.e. English, Canadian and American). Personally, I grew up with a goldie who was quite dark in colour when compared to a lot that I see around these days and it's not imperative that I find one who is a nice golden Golden Retriever, but it would be nice; and
  2. Is there anything that I should be made aware of whilst looking for my pup? What I mean by this is, are there any particular trends going around now in the Golden Retriever breeding circuit that are detrimental to the dogs health and going to cause for a life of constant vet visits over a happy/healthy pup? (I don't really think this is a question that will get any responses... but it's worth asking); and

Thanks in advance :-)

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat

yay great choice they are just the best dogs! :)

As I am just a goldie owner and not a breeder I can only say

to look on gr breeders websites

to see their past litters and there breeding dogs

as in the look/colour/size/temperament that you are interested in

What I found surprisingly is it takes time,patients,research and more time!

But worth it as they will be part of your family hopefully for a long long time

I also found it hard to get a reply from a a lot of breeders,

I emailed when just inquiring

about up coming litters etc

which my self and others have found extremely frustrating and rude

But dont give up as there are good committed helpful breeders out there

it is good that you can travel interstate at least that gives you more options

I did recently see a breeder in Queensland that had dark golden retrievers and pups

but cant remember the name

But go to golden retriever breeders [on here] and check some of there websites and

there breeding practices and how there puppies are reared

and just email or phone them and hopefully the right pup will be out there for you

Goodluck