Puppy, grass and leaves

Bailey

Hello all

Need advice here please

We have a 9 week old pure breed lab, full of energy. When we do let him out in the front yard for toilet or just a run, we often find him nibbling on grass and mouthing dried leaves (have checked - not from plants toxic to dogs) he however gags and sometimes like to nibble on it. We try and stop him when we can but sometimes he is off leash and runs in the opposite direction with his catch

Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say normal, but if you're ever concerned about something just ask your vet at your next checkup/puppy vaccination.

Dogs don't have hands so curious puppies explore the world with their mouths. I imagine crunching leaves must be fun for your puppy and some dogs just enjoy eating grass for whatever reason. And when you run after your puppy has taken leaves, it has turned into a fun game for him!

You may like to redirect him onto more appropriate chew toys when you see him chewing leaves. Kong make these crackle toys that may interest him or some dogs are safe playing with empty water bottles with the cap, ring and wrapper removed. Remember to watch your puppy with any new toys to make sure he's safe with them, especially as he grows.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 3