Different expressions of the Merle gene

DogsAndTheMob

Interesting article.  I think the last paragraph is the most important :

Although merle is one of the more popular coat patterns of dogs, it is not without controversy. Merle-to-merle matings can result in double merle (MM) offspring that have ocular (including blindness and microphthalmia) and auditory defects; this is possible even for merle-to-cryptic merle matings. We hope this work will raise awareness among breeders that there are merle varieties that do not fit the standard phenotypic description and that this knowledge will prevent undesirable matings and mischaracterizations.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Interesting article.  I think the last paragraph is the most important :

Although merle is one of the more popular coat patterns of dogs, it is not without controversy. Merle-to-merle matings can result in double merle (MM) offspring that have ocular (including blindness and microphthalmia) and auditory defects; this is possible even for merle-to-cryptic merle matings. We hope this work will raise awareness among breeders that there are merle varieties that do not fit the standard phenotypic description and that this knowledge will prevent undesirable matings and mischaracterizations.

Definitely. I have no wish to own a Merle dog but I find the science of coat colour very interesting. I’d heard of cryptic Merle’s but the one “cryptic Merle” I’ve seen was actually much more like the M81m (M32) dog, but with Irish spotting superimposed. I

I think (hope!) most ANKC breeders are aware of the risks of Merle-to-Merle breeding. I’ve never seen an obviously double-Merle purebred dog. I’ve seen a few farm-style short-coated collies or koolies with markings that made me wonder, and I’ve also seen an almost-certain double Merle “pig-dog” type dog on the back of a truck; it had one micropthalmic eye.

i also wonder if any dilute Merle collie rough puppies  have been misdiagnosed as having cyclic neutropenia.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob