Which Vegies?

boxagirl

My 6 month Rotty pup gets cooked mashed vegies but she is occasionally vomiting on them, as soon as I stop vegies her tummy seems to clear up. Vegies are generally mashed pumpkin, carrot, cauliflower etc. Is it ok to feed cauliflower, I am wondering if it is this or perhaps the mashed vegies sitting in the fridge for 3 days?

Any ideas?

Cheers

I would definitely try raw veggies as opposed to cooked.

I base ours on green leafy veg - spinach, silverbeet etc.

Then add alternatives that I change every so often; broccoli, parsley, celery, carrot, red/green/yellow capsicum, cabbage, cauliflower, pumpkin, cucumber, bean sprouts etc.

Too much of the crucifer (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc) family can depress the thyroid if fed constantly and also cause gas.

I also keep starchy (pumpkin) and sugary (carrot) vegetables to a low level

I can vouch for the excess gas part! I used a lot of cabbage in my last batch and boy, am I ever paying for it now!

Definitely won't be doing that again.

For white dogs, I'd avoid using a lot of beetroot as well. I noticed the beginnings of tear stains from it.

- Mokey

Baboni it's not really BARF - BARF is not dependent on any commercial form of food.

With your veg puree/juice it - chopping will not allow your dog to breakdown and use the nutrients provided because dogs are inable to breakdown cellulose (cell wall) and boiling will denature proteins and will not provide the same amount of nutrients as pureed/juiced veg.

Leave the chicken/meat raw - its far better for your dog.

Bones (any non weight bearing bones) - chicken/turkey necks and wings, carcasses, pork/lamb necks, flaps, roo/ox tail, rabbit carcasses/pieces etc.

bones are to be fed raw. If you feed at weightbearing/recreational bones they should be taken away after the meat and knuckles have worn.

I feed fruit and veg in the same meal. I steer clear of potatoes.

Baboni - if your really interested I suggest you get your hands on some BARF books (Billinghurst and Lonsdale have books on the subject) they will be able to provide you with clear and correct information regarding the diet.

^^ Thanks Hazz. I'll look into some books. I didn't realize veggies had to be mashed. If I throw them in a blender, will that do? I sure have A LOT to learn!

Don't know why boxagirl uses oats, but I was told by someone that breeds boxers and has a pet boarding business, where everyone gets BARF..... that oats help keep blood warm in winter and barley keeps blood cool in winter....
sounds like the breeder we got our baby boy from.

recently my poor boy has lost alot of weight, due to the fact we had gone overseas for 5 weeks and he missed us so much he wouldnt eat. As soon as we came back i got him back onto his favourite foods. Definate BARF diet.

I find that boxers are like kids, if they dont know that its healthy and cant tell what it is they will eat it. Thats why I tend to use a food processor to chop all my veggies (skin and all) into tiny little pieces then mix them in with either rice or pasta add bit of barley or oat bran and some left over soup or chicken stock or something to add a little meat flavour to the mix. This can be done in large quantities and frozen in small packs. Just add fresh meat to it before serving and they gobble it all up

I use any mix of

*sweet potato

*swedes,

*carrots,

*broccolli,

*cauliflower

*a clove or 2 of garlic...make sure its not too much cause its part of the onion family and can make them sick in large quantities

*boiled pumpkin

*celery

*zucchini

*parsely

my boy also loves his apples...he starts drooling as soon as he smells someone eating a nice fresh granny smith! so try experimenting with some fruits too

I also heard that Kelp powder is good as well too add to the mix.

As meat we use kangaroo, raw chicken roll, chicken necks, chicken giblets, liver, chicken hearts, occasionally goat meat, lamb off cuts etc.

If you want a nice shiny coat for your boxer dont forget the sardines in oil, they love that stuff 2 cans a week will do a great job.

The toerag vomited again last night at 3.00am.....she eating palms and stuff in garden when I investigated contents, bloody lovely at 3.00am

Dun think its the vegies now....

dogs will usually eat grass or leaves etc in order to help settle their stomach down. Chances are she ate something she been hiding that was a bit off.