Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Dog Food

panda

Thanks Catzatsea, that was quick,LOL. I was up at 2am last night and didn't think I'd get an answer so soon. I've never heard of Pet Barn before, is it a pet shop? We bought our puppy in May, and still learning. I didn't do too bad within the first two months though, found out so much about what goes in to dog food. We started our puppy, Panda on Innova but he didnt' like it at all. Went on Science Diet for a month then later found out about by-products meat, corn, preservatives. So it's a big NO to SD. Panda has been on Californai Natural for a while. I like the ingredients but his stool is a bit soft with CN. Found Eagle Pack Holistic range on internet in Sydney which is imported from the States. I did a lot of research on internet about dog food for a while and Eagle Pack Holistic range is pretty high quality added probiotic which is good bacteria. I mixed it with California Natural, I'm happy with his stool now. I want to switch different brands of dog food for Panda every 3-4 months so that he can get different varieties. Dick Van Patten's natural balance organic dog food is another one I want to put him on next, or maybe half/half with CN or EP.

Hi .. generally it's not advisable to keep 'switching' your puppy/dogs' diet around, it's asking for an upset tummy. Find something that is good, works and stick to it.

Seems you're doing your reseach so good on you !! Great to see people so interested in what they feed their dogs. Another good Super Premium is Nutro but it's not readily available in NSW (as yet)

Other people swear by BARF ... all in all provided your puppy/dog is getting a sound balanced diet and they are happy then there isn't much more you can do.

What breed do you have Panda?

ETA: Sorry don't know where you can by the food you're after ...

Edited by HuntinHound

Panda is a Japanese Spitz. He looks like a miniture of Samoyd. Have you done a lot of research on dog food? I'd love to have him on Canidae, but it's not available in Australia. I'm thinking of bringing it in to Australia myself, but just don't know where to start yet. Alot of homework to do. I'm sending Panda away to boarding for a month in December, therefore dry food is the only way to go for him. I'll be supplying his food the the kennel though, they feed Royal Canin there but I don't like some of the ingredients in it.

I'd recommend getting a sample of the Natural Balance first if you can because the kibble is VERY hard,harder than most.My dog ate Natural Balance as a puppy and I was very happy with it stool-wise and shiny coat-wise but I had to moisten it,otherwise Misha would swallow the kibble whole because she'd tire of trying to chew it up.I've switched her since to something else as a base with raw added,Fromm's Salmon a la veg which probably isn't available in Australia but works for us as the kibble is smaller and crunches up much more easily than the Natural Balance did.

How old is your pup? If you've found something that works,you might not need to make a change until your pup is older and has a more mature digestive system.

:thumbsup: Umm maybe I won't try Natural Balance after all. My dog is 7 months old. He doesn't like EP much but he eats it when he's hungry, usually when we come back from a walk. Sometimes I have to add a little of liver or lamb treats to his food to get him going. My dog does the same as your dog @Innana, he doesn't seem to chew his food much. I find that EP is harder to chew than California Natural.

Why did you switch from NB to EP in the firs place, Catzatsea?

By the way, how do I get my dog's picture up in the forum on the left side? I have loaded on to my profile but it's not showing in the forum like yours.

post-22-1129885762.jpg

Edited by panda

Why did you switch from NB to EP in the firs place, Catzatsea?

Both furkids have allergy issue's and unfortunately Natural Balance didnt show any improvement. My older boy also runs off the smell of an oily rag and is wellknown for his laziness.

However since they have been on EP (Spud is on Holistic Anchovy and Toby on Senior) I have even noticed a difference in there moods and energy levels. Spud has suddenly become that hyporactive loon I once knew before his patella went, and Toby WANTS to play and run instead of walk, smell and be dragged. :thumbsup:

If you want a change of taste for you pooch the pet store in Haberfield sells the 3 kg EP pack in 6 different varietys . :thumbsup:

In your personal settings where you loaded the original picture of Panda there is an area to load an AVATAR (sp?) .... this is what that little picture over the left is called - sorry couldn't explain it better.

My Controls

Over the left side under Personal Profile go to "Edit Avatar Settings"

and follow the yellow brick road :thumbsup:

Hope that Helps .... Panda is very cute btw

I tried to use Avatar settings but I kept getting error as the picture is bigger than 10kb. I used photoshop to reduce the size about 10 times but I couldn't get it any smaller than 12kb. It's so small and all I could see was just a dot. :thumbsup: Perhaps, there's a different way in photoshop to reduce the pic to 10kb?

Thanks, Panda is beautiful and we always send him to bed and kiss him good night every night. Here's a pic of him when we first got him at 8 weeks old.

post-22-1129935261.jpg

• 4 weeks later...