Price For Teeth Cleaning

Most of the clinics I was in last year charged around the $250 mark for a scale and polish, but not including any extractions. Some practices will be more, some less, sometimes vets do it, sometimes a nurse does it, sometimes it is done quickly, sometimes they let Rappie do it and she gets anal retentive and it takes a bit longer :rolleyes:

A $400 dental would want to include fluids and a pre-anaesthetic blood panel. Of course, it depends on the patient as to what the final figure will be.

Edit: Can't spell today to save myself.

Edited by Rappie

Wow that is a lot of money. When we adopted our Mini Foxie he needed some teeth extractions and a clean and that was in total of $250. I know my Mum in Sydney was charged $250 for a dental from her old vet, but the one she sees now, she charges $150

What is wrong with giving your dog bones to chew on? My GSD have never required dentals and since our M.F has accepted what he get here, his teeth have been a lot better. He use to only eat soft food, now he will chew on bones like the rest of them, his anal gland problems have cleared up too!

In answer to your questions my sheltie lives on raw chicken neck,frames and marrow bones... so thats no problem there... :rolleyes:

He's just a dog that his saliva makes his teeth brown and yukkii??? mum has also got one thats like this and her vet told her that it was just his saliva?

I thought Id just get them cleaned and see how he goes from there.

thankyou anyway

Sheltilover, I can sympathise.

My dogs all eat exactly the same diet; two of them have beautiful pearly whites (mother & son), whereas my other bitch's teeth always need attention. The vet told me that, just like people, they are all different and some have different acid levels, saliva, etc.

ETA: After you've had them cleaned at the vet, clean them yourself once or twice a week with a doggy toothbrush & toothpaste and that should keep them ship-shape :thumbsup:

Edited by Meriment

In answer to your questions my sheltie lives on raw chicken neck,frames and marrow bones... so thats no problem there... :thumbsup:

He's just a dog that his saliva makes his teeth brown and yukkii??? mum has also got one thats like this and her vet told her that it was just his saliva?

I thought Id just get them cleaned and see how he goes from there.

thankyou anyway

The RMBs you've listed aren't really ideal for teeth cleaning. You'd be better off feeding lamb neck (whole), lamb ribs (or flap as it's also called), and beef brisket pieces. The dog needs to be gnawing and ripping flesh from bone as well as eating the bone itself. This gnawing and ripping is what scrapes the tartar and plaque off the tooth surface and what eliminates the need for expensive and sometimes risky dental cleaning under GA.

If you feed processed foods as well, the bones will not be very effective. I've basically switched from processed to a completely raw diet with the bulk of the food being meaty bones. When Molly arrived her teeth were disgusting, and within two weeks of her arrival, eating a raw whole foods diet, her teeth and gums were healthy and spotless.

So, if you're feeding kibble/canned/rolls/whatever else, then that will negate the benefits of RMBs. :thumbsup:

I was quoted $180 for Beau as a 40kg dog.

Was just wondering how eating a food that is designed to help clean teeth would negate the effect of RMB's? Also that doesn't explain why one dogs teeth are perfect whereas Beaus get gunky very quickly when they eat the same diet.

We paid $150 for a full dental check, clean and polish on a 55kg rottie - and that was expensive because they had a hard time knocking him out. Even when they were cleaning his teeth he was growling at them.

Normally our dogs don't need their teeth cleaned but he had a bad bite at work so we wanted his mouth checked out fully before returning him to work.

I was quoted $180 for Beau as a 40kg dog.

Was just wondering how eating a food that is designed to help clean teeth would negate the effect of RMB's? Also that doesn't explain why one dogs teeth are perfect whereas Beaus get gunky very quickly when they eat the same diet.

If you're feeding a processed diet to your dog, IMO its residue sticks to the teeth b/c there is nothing to scrape it off...a dog cannot clean its teeth using kibble IMO, b/c there is no gnawing or ripping. The ripping and gnawing is what helps clean the tooth surface, I think I said that in a previous post?

Dogs are obviously individuals. If you have two dogs that are fed the exact same diet, drink the same amount of water in a 24 hour period, exercise the same, have the same action when chewing the same bones, etc, etc, then the difference could be genetic. Perhaps if you have one dog with relatively bad teeth you could brush them twice a day? I know many ppl that do this b/c they're too frightened to feed their dogs raw bones...they'd rather spend an hour a day cleaning their dogs' teeth with toothpaste designed for dogs, and put solutions in their drinking water "to reduce plaque"...I suppose they must have a lot of money. :rofl:

Me? I'd prefer to let their food clean their teeth! :thumbsup: It's worked so far...even for my dear old Aussie (now at the Bridge), I'd give him raw bones regularly but he was fed processed as a staple...his teeth were pretty good (except one that was rotten from an early age). :rofl: