C5 Vaccination Side Effects -

doberkids

...and they laugh and shake their head at you like you are an ill-informed child that should be chastised.

I know my dogs better than anyone else and wont be told that they couldnt have had a reaction.

My vet (not the one that treats me with such disdain, bless his soul) advised me that a dog will not *just get sick* for no reason. There is always a reason why a dog is ill. I accept his advice. He is of the 0.5% who are precautious when it comes to vaccs.

The "this happens sometimes" brush off is the same reaction I got when my Staffy had her vaccine reaction (2nd puppy shot - will never ever be vaccinated again as will any of my other dogs)

It is disgusting. Too many vets either wont admit it was a reaction or even if they admit "maybe" it was - wont report it. This is why these incorrect "one in 0.1% figures come from - more like 0.1% of vets actually report anything so the statistics are totally wrong)

With regard to "is it only the C5 vaccination" questions - it can happen with any of the different vaccinations but the ingredients for kennel cough are one of the ones that cause a reaction the most (so so sad as kennel cough is not a life threatening disease and in my opinion should not be vaccinated against)

Doberkids, please watch your dog - often the swelling after a vaccine reaction is not the end of it. What happened to your dog is exactly what happened to mine - and we have now been battling severe allergies to almost all drugs and a whole heap of other things for 3 years :rolleyes:

Isnt it interesting that vaccine reactions are so "rare" yet almost everyone I know (and it would seem many people on this forum) have either had it happen to them or someone they know :cry: hmmmmmm

Jen

PS Doberkids, I would definately suggest you take your dog to a homeopathic vet - conventional drugs can not fix a vaccine reaction :cry:

Thanks Jenny, and thank you all for your responses and threads.

I agree that this "rarity" seems very common! - :rolleyes:

I will definitely take them both for another check up at a homeopathic vet.

Bindi currently has no further external symptoms but is still very sooky, quiet and lethargic, so I am still concerned about her. She is pepping up a bit today, but still not quite her usual self.

The thing I found interesting about this is that the "allergy" has developed over time. Hmm. Staffyotopeia, glad your furkid is ok now.

I am wondering whether or not there is a bad batch of C5's at the moment?

My grl had a huge lump come up recently after her c5 15mth old booster. Damn Vet wanted to 'write it off' to as one of those things. well we had words I and I waited in his room whilst he reported it to the Company( it was Canvac for those interested).He then wanted to give her cortisone for the lumo and I told him where he could put it, so to speak.

I now go to another Vet who listens to my concerns and with her guidance my girl is getting back on track and adopts a holistic approach to her Vet work.

I am wondering whether or not there is a bad batch of C5's at the moment?

Doubt it - but then IMO all batches of C5 are bad and shouldn't be used! :D

Same old, same old - many dogs and human babies manage to cope with vaccinations, many don't. But the way standard medicos refuse to report adverse reactions, who would know the percentages?

Look at autism rates in humans - non-existent before thimoseral (mercury derivative) was added to vaccines in 1931, up to 1 in 2,500 kids in the US by 1991, then when more vaccinations were added to the schedule in that year the rate jumped to 1 in 166 kids. But very few doctors will acknowledge the connection.

And vets are trained by the same universities, and most research funding is provided by the same pharmaceutical companies...

Look at autism rates in humans - non-existent before thimoseral (mercury derivative) was added to vaccines in 1931, up to 1 in 2,500 kids in the US by 1991, then when more vaccinations were added to the schedule in that year the rate jumped to 1 in 166 kids. But very few doctors will acknowledge the connection.

And vets are trained by the same universities, and most research funding is provided by the same pharmaceutical companies...

Exactly. and of course, if goverment authorities admitted that autism was caused by vaccines - imagine the legal battles they would have - so of course, the information just gets shoved out of the way in the hope that no-one asks too many questions.

It really annoys me that in most cases no owner is given any information whatsoever on possible vaccine reactions beforehand so they can make an informed decision. Also, that there are many vets who will vaccinate sick dogs - even though the manufacturers label warns against this!!

Of course, it always makes it hard for people to make an informed decision when the statistics are skewed and the "vaccinate your dog or they will surely die" is shoved down everyone's throat. :D

Sad thing is - most owners think they are doing the best they can do for their dog by vaccinating them every year (because the vet says so) :D

And as for the research funding being provided by the same pharmaceutical companies - have you ever heard of a bigger conflict of interest in your life?!

Jen

I'm sorry if I'm just spitting out "old news" but here in Europe (and I understand all over the planet) vets are very seriously considering that we may be OVER VACCINATING our pets and should only be giving boosters every second year... Many even suggest this to be a reason for unpredictable behaviour in pets too, though I'm not too sure about that debate...

I personally got onto the topic whilst preparing my dogs for import into Australia... Anyway, my dogs have been vaccinated yearly for distemper, infectious hepatitis, parvo, bordatella bronchiseptica, Leptospira interrogans AND Rabies all in one hit... This time I had to add Kennel Cough to the list too ;)

I have never had any negative reactions.

HOWEVER, when I went to have their booster injections (obligatory for import)once the standard 12 months had expired the vet decided to draw blood for the Rabies antibody test BERFORE vaccination... He promised me that despite not being vaccinated for a year, their antibodies would be "larglely sufficient" to pass the acceptance level set by Aust. quarantine...

Well, all dogs had at least 3 times the minimum amount of antibodies WITHOUT even being re-vaccinated. :D

When I enquired about this my vet simply confirmed that he personnally vaccinates his pets every 30 months but that he vaccinates clients' pets at the request of the client because that is what they expect...

My vet is NOT a money monger and will not vaccinate just to get cash in the till, but as he said, it is written in every magazine, every booklet, every vet clinique that one should vaccinate their pets annually... To put a dog in a kennel for the holidays, to take him over the border or for him to simply be enrolled in training, tha annual vaccinations are OBLIGATORY ! People think they are doing the right thing and will keep doing so until the science books are re-written. :D

For those above who are considering not vaccinating at all, please think again... Maybe just do it less often or insist on a less "violent" vaccination... Maybe those concerned could ask for seperate vaccination injections spread out over several months to avoid a vaccination "shock" ?... I am not a vet but I believe vaccination is still VERY important !...

For those above who are considering not vaccinating at all, please think again

I don't think I've ever seen a post recommending no vacc at all here! The general consensus is that puppy shots are essential - the debate being when, what and how many.

It is the annual boosters that attract most of the discussion, plus the pro's and cons of C5s and Proheart.

l waited with my older dog about 2 years from his last needle when l took him too the vet thinking l will do the right thing and l felt bad for waiting longer , he had a reaction and l was worried sick thinking what have l done to you. It was a C7 didn't know they were out. He had the biggest lump full of fluid didn't seem right had to keep my eye on him for three weeks .So now l have been told not to give him any more.

The pup had hers on Friday her last one so she can go walking now and l was just scared because of what happened to my first dog.l am in two minds as to a booster in 1 year or 2 years.

If l had another pup l would still give the new pup its vac's and hope all will be ok.

It breaks my heart that so many puppys are getting so sick.

The Vet said there was parvo in the area l know they can still catch it even though they have been vac.