Oil For Glossy Coat

talk about confused there is sooooo much difference in what we read mine says quote +++

vitamin e depends very much if diet includes unsaturated oils corn oil,codliver oil sunflower,linseed then the need for vit;e can increase 5 times -fish oil have no vit;e

stress of infection increases the need for vit; e particulary if polyunsat or fatty acid are being fed

natural vit e found in green plants,veg oilshave highest levels of v3

wheat germ has the most then cottseed salflower soya bean peanut oil etc;

sorry this is so long ,but my dog has had a habit of picking up a virus which has caused her stress of itchy scratchness and began pulling out her coat and scratching so much she broke the skin

vet gave antibiotics first it eased off ,but came back second time to cause that pulling hair etc.

the vet gave her a shot of cortosone which was to last 12 hrs which would hopefully break the cycle of the virus and a follow up of and antibotic.That was yesterday and I now have a part hairless NONSCRATCHY dog YAHOO!!!!

But as far as oils are concerned I have to add vit;e to her diet because of her dry skin that is how I came about reading the above info about oils .

And I was giving her Cod liver oil and as you can see the above statement says I have been robbing her of vit;e

So you reconmend I give her Vegi oil ?

I am giving her vit;e capsules Glorybea :confused::thumbsup:

I would keep giving the Vitamin E tablet and Cod Liver Oil as iCod Liver Oil is an activated Omega 6 EFA. I would also add an Omega 3 EFA. Either Evening Primrose Oil, Safflower Oil or Sunflower Oil. Vegetable oils that do not contain EFA's such as ones from the supermarket (with the exception of first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil) are heat damaged and will have no benefit to your dog. Alternative to giving 3 seperate oils and trying to work out what quantities to give of each, I highly recommend Omega Pet from the Health Food Shop. It comes in a liquid form and contains; Flaxseed Oil, Safflower Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Wheatgerm Oil and Vitamin E. The following is some info on the product, which is made by Melrose Health, found on their website:

Omega-3 Liquid

Total Omega EFA (essential fatty acid) Promoting healthy skin & coats

We love to see our dog’s coat bright and shiny as this is an outward sign of good health.

Feeding your dog a meaty bone is only part of its fat requirement. What is overlooked is your dog’s need for the essential unsaturated fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6. These essential fats serve functions in cell membranes and in metabolic regulation, eg., as precursors of prostaglandins and related metabolites. Of the two, Omega-3 fats are essential for optimum health and a shiny coat.

OmegaPet Omega-3 Liquid is an essential fatty acid product designed to provide Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids in a balanced proportion.

Composition per 100grams

Omega-3 alpha Linolenic EFA 28g

Omega-3 EPA Eicosapentaenoic EFA 2g

Omega-3 DHA Docosahexaenoic EFA 2g

Omega-6 Linoleic EFA 28g

Other unsaturated fats 29g; 29g

Saturated fats 11g

Vitamin A 12,000 I.U.

Vitamin D 40 mcg

Vitamin E 400 I.U.

Directions

One to two teaspoons (5-10ml) per 10kg body weight introduced with the normal meal. Available in the following packs 250mL black plastic bottle 2 litre and 10 litre bag in a box - 100% protection from air and

But please, remember that all oil fed to your dog needs to be kept refridgerated and not kept for long periods of time.

Flaxseed and Linseed oils are the same thing (I'm pretty sure anyway!) You should look into getting it from the horse shops jedash, its much cheaper - not sure what the difference would be between it and the human quality stuff (says cold processed linseed oil on the bottle, source of omega 3, 6 and 9)

Yep, they're the same thing only it is much more expensive when it is called "flaxseed" oil. Best to get it from a horse supplier and not from a pet shop etc. You should be able to get a 1 litre bottle for around $12

I have English Springers who are prone to "hotspots" and it is wonderful...keeps their skin clear and their coast super shiny.

thanks alison will look into the omega pet

she is even better today and I have rubbed in some vit e cream in the VERY dry areas cheers Glorybea

are you feeding Vitamin E or rubbing the cream into the skin?

hi Alison ,sorry if I confused you -I am feeding her a capsule a day of vit e ---the cream I have rubbed on the bad areas where she has scratched and pulled out a bit of hair .

In just 2 days the cream has inproved the dryness and healed the areas where she scratched and left like cut marks .

the vet didn't suggest the cream I thought if it healed me after an 'op" why not her . CHEERS gLORYBEA

You learn something new every day... i didn't realise that Linseed and Flaxseed oil were one and the same! I've been using Goochy's lately, which i've found quite good (but messy), but prior to that i used Vets All Natural Omega Blend. I've also used their Flaxseed oil.

With the Vitamin E capsules, you can cut them open and dab the oil directly onto (closed, not open) wounds to help with healing.

Guest cloverfdch
Flaxseed and Linseed oils are the same thing (I'm pretty sure anyway!) You should look into getting it from the horse shops jedash, its much cheaper - not sure what the difference would be between it and the human quality stuff (says cold processed linseed oil on the bottle, source of omega 3, 6 and 9)

:) Your kidding no wonder the poor girl had no idea what i was talking about at horseland when i asked about Flaxseed oil, must let her know next time i go there. And no wonder i could not find Flaxseed oil anywhere, just linseed. Learn something new everyday.

My guys get Flaxseed powder mixed in their dinner every night, i got that from an organic supermarket in Melbourne (Richmond to be precise).

Edited by cloverfdch

hhahahaha I wish O`ren was that loving of all things squirty- once i pick up annnything that squirts like Advantage flea treatment, the Good Oil i put in her food or even teh water spray i use when grooming her- she dives into her crate and wont come out, even with promising treats she drags her feet!!!

QUESTION: what kind of vit E cream would you reccommend? is parfumless scentless etc Sorbelene ok? i use this myself cos it has NOTHING else in it and is quite rich- would it be ok for O`rens dry spots? she has a almost 100% bald bottom from pulling out her own coat due to fleas, since advantage the fleas have decreased (but not dissappeared :shhh: ) so her coat is returing but the skin is stil on the mend

:mad Your kidding no wonder the poor girl had no idea what i was talking about at horseland when i asked about Flaxseed oil, must let her know next time i go there. And no wonder i could not find Flaxseed oil anywhere, just linseed. Learn something new everyday.

My guys get Flaxseed powder mixed in their dinner every night, i got that from an organic supermarket in Melbourne (Richmond to be precise).

I did exactly the same thing at the horse shop and I go the same response....they thought I was a raving looney!!

You live and learn don't you...................and it heaps cheaper when its called linseed oil!! :confused: