Crating Puppy

Mitzy

Someone will tell me if I am getting to be a nuisance, right? :rolleyes:

Anyway, how long is tooooo long in the crate at a stretch, if he is awake? He seems content with his toys, etc for up to two hours, especially if he can see a person and is near the other dogs, even though they either ignore him or sniff at the crate constantly (at least the growling has stopped!) So, is it alright to keep him crated while I run the vacuum and cook, etc, as long as he is happy and playing? Sometimes he seems to just give up and go to sleep and sometimes, after awhile, he whines. Then I tell him, quiet and when he is quiet for a few minutes I let him out.

Am I doing right?

Sounds fine but I'd like to know how old the puppy is?

Depending on the age, I would be toileting every 2 hours anyway....as long as puppy gets good active times as well, what you are doing doesn't sound like a drama at all :)

Edited to add: Make sure he is quiet BEFORE letting him out of the crate or he will learn that if he whines, he will get out and about.

Edited by t-time

He is nine weeks old, and he is now going out every two to three hours all day, but if he wants to go 8 hours at night, good on him, I say! Sorry!

I wake him if necessary and take him out about 11pm or 12pm and then he sleeps till 6 am and we go out again. What is that, seven hours? of uninterrupted sleep for me. Seems alright.