Sleeping Problem

blknwht

I've a Japanese Chin 5months old. For the last 3 months she has been really good when going to bed.

She usually gets sleepy upstair when we watch tv til 9.30pm and then i transfer her down in the laundry.

She would sleep the whole night til next morning.

Only in the last 4 days she has been waking up at 1pm banging and barking and scratching at the door. She sleeps in the laundry with bedding, hot water bottle, toys, waterbowl and no draughts.

I can't understand why she has recently decided she doesn't want to sleep. I don't want to make it a habit of me coming downstairs and comforting her.

I have waited for 2hrs thinking it would stop, but no luck.

Could anyone give me some suggestions.

The family is in desperate need to sleep. :)

Also, is there any recommendation for tear stains, vet recommend hydrogen peroxide dilute but doesn't work.

Edited by blknwht

A couple of extra questions for you :eek:

When she wakes during the night, does she have to go to the toilet? Do you try and see if she will go? Or are you just trying "control crying"? Is this a laundry out the back or is it an area inside the house?

At 5 months of age, most dogs would be toilet trained quite well, but you must remember that this is a little breed and as such, has a little bladder, hence, needs to go more frequently. Try rationing drinks before bedtime and then don't leave a water bowl overnight. If your baby is asleep, it does not need to drink! Keep in mind that in Summer, Chins do suffer badly with the heat. Be prepared to do extra toilet runs during the night.

If she has been emotionally happy in the laundry so far, I would say it has to be a physical thing. Also, you say there's no draughts but perhaps as the weather is getting cooler, she might need a jacket to keep her warmer at night (she is still only a baby). :eek:

Personally, I find the smaller lap-type dogs are much happier if they are closer to you and I would have her basket upstairs - preferably in my room - if that's not good for you then maybe there is a room near yours upstairs that you could move her basket into?

Tear staining is extremely common with this breed. Even the show quality dogs I've seen have some tear staining. It is purely a beauty preference and I wouldn't be too worried about it - it's not a health issue unless the eyes are also "gunky" or there is a bad smell.

You could try adding a tiny amount of Apple Cider Vinegar to her water. The good cloudy stuff you buy at the health store. I say TINY amount because I'm assuming she would have a TINY water bowl. When you first start using it, if the dog can smell it, the dog won't drink it. I use 4 dessert spoons in 3 litres of water (built up the amount over time) to give you some idea of the dosage. She would only need like, 2 mls to start with building up to perhaps 2 yeaspoons - once again, it depends on the size of the wtaer bowl. This is a pretty old fashioned remedy but the idea is that it purifies any minerals or chemicals in the water and after about a month or 2, you will notice a reduction of tear staining. It has worked for my dogs :)

Also wipe her eyes with a commercial tear stain removal product twice a day if it's really bothering you. They are all much of a muchness when it comes to ingredients and you'll probably find that the hydrogen peroxide is just as effective. Use a cotton pad rather than ball as little bits of the cotton balls can break off in the eye and irritate. Some people also use whitening toothpaste but hey - stick some of that in your own eye and see if you like it! PERSIST!!

Most show people use chalk or other products to cover up a fair bit of tear staining - all smoke and mirrors :(:eek:

Good luck with your Chin :o

Edited by t-time

THanks for the reply.

Yesterday night she didn't cry. I will see how she goes the next few nights.

The laundry is inside the house. She has a potty inside the laundry if she needs to go to the toilet.

Every night she gets a hotwater bottle in her bed, but i'll also try the jumper as well.

Thanks for the apple cidar remedy.

:laugh: I spoke too soon, the last 3 nights she has been barking and scratching again. It's really annoying having to wake up at 3am in the morning. Could anyone suggest, why she constantly doing this. She was fine until 3weeks ago. :laugh: PLease help.

Hey Blknwht,

I see you are still having problems :rofl:

Back to this toileting thing....does she only use the litter box at night time? The scratching at the door may be her cue to outside to the toilet? She might not want to use the litter box anymore. Dogs don't like being near their own faeces/urine - even in the same room. It might have been ok when she was a younger puppy but now she knows there's somewhere better to go....

Also, at 5 months (now nearly 6?), this is the time when puppies realise they can manipulate their owners :rofl: so perhaps she's just seeing how far she can push you before you let her back into the living areas of the house :rofl: If that is the case, you just have to be tough :rofl: (I'd still have her near me if she was my little baby :( )

The timing of this problem is a little tricky - 5 months the attachment issues come in, the toileting changes can happen and to top it off, it has been change of season (even if your girl is in the laundry in the house, the psychology says "get deeper into the warmth of the den")

Sounds like it's driving you nuts :laugh: Hope some of my suggestions might help :rofl:

T-Time thanks for the suggestions.

I have a doggy potty for her and i don't see her scratching the door to go to the toilet at night when we are inside. She scratches the baby door wanting to go upstairs.

Since i have let her loose around the house and not lock her up downstairs. She seems to be happy for the last two days. I was worried that she might go to the toilet upstair if she was lazy to go downstairs to the doggy toilet. But, everything seems ok at the moment.