Noisy Dobermann

Blue Tack is not much good for it's intended purpose - but it does make good ear plugs. :mad

Thanks for the advice - will leave some in the letterbox for the neighbours as well.

Dobes are clever "problem solvers" and will try to pull stunts that faciliate their objectives - just like a child would. If whining works, then they will do that. Sometimes when Flame wants something bad enough, she'll try every trick in the book in sequence. Sitting in front of you "Hey look at me I'm being SO good!" or barking sporadically, or "growly-talk" or whining or putting a paw on your shoulder as a reminder or notification that she wants something. Overall whining is not huge in her bag of tricks, because we made a conscious decision to ignore it so she knows its ineffective.

Dobes are clever "problem solvers" and will try to pull stunts that faciliate their objectives - just like a child would. If whining works, then they will do that. Sometimes when Flame wants something bad enough, she'll try every trick in the book in sequence. Sitting in front of you "Hey look at me I'm being SO good!" or barking sporadically, or "growly-talk" or whining or putting a paw on your shoulder as a reminder or notification that she wants something.

Perhaps I shouldn't get too bent out of shape about it - in reality this is the only frustrating thing he really does. I am very much in awe of what a lovable affection/attention seeker he is (very different to GSD who perhaps is too well behaved). Harley reminds me of a cartoon dog, so pretty and perfect that he dosn't seem real. I can say that I have seen the above mentioned routine from him, minus the barking. At least he has carisma!! :mad I will continue to ignore and see how that goes.....

:thumbsup: It's been very funny reading all this as we have a GSD and a dobe (Mind you the Dobe is only 10 weeks at this stage) but it's the GSD that does all the whining! We joke about it, it's a in house joke that we say all the time "If only he could talk!" He whines when you go and say hello and he whines when you throw something for him, and when he picks it up and brings it back, actually pretty much everywhere! But it's not an "I want something' whining, he really is just talking to you! It's very cute! Will have to see if the Dobe does it when he's older as well! :mad

I am very much in awe of what a lovable affection/attention seeker he is (very different to GSD who perhaps is too well behaved). Harley reminds me of a cartoon dog, so pretty and perfect that he dosn't seem real. I can say that I have seen the above mentioned routine from him, minus the barking. At least he has carisma!! :mad I will continue to ignore and see how that goes.....

Good Luck Mojo! I liked your reference to Harley being like a "Cartoon Dog". It's like they have the full complement of Scooby-Doo style "acting" methods. :laugh: Have you posted any pics of Harley?

:thumbsup: It's been very funny reading all this as we have a GSD and a dobe (Mind you the Dobe is only 10 weeks at this stage) but it's the GSD that does all the whining! We joke about it, it's a in house joke that we say all the time "If only he could talk!"

Hi Wynernblade - sometimes I think that if Flame actually said something, that it would not be all that surprising or seem all that wierd... a bit like in the movie Doctor Doolittle when the Guinea Pig first speaks and the guy starts talking back conversationally without realising "Hey, this is an ANIMAL talking!" :rofl::rofl: :D

It is possible to use the whining in a positive way.

When I had the poodle, she learned to make noise on command "Speak" - and she'd be off.

She also learned "Quiet"

When my OH sarcastically stated that I could not possibly teach the Dobe to open the sliding screen door (It has a magnetic catch), I managed to do that in about 2 days flat.

Of course, that meant she could come on in whenever she liked. But closing it is another matter!

So OH had a problem, didn't he? :D

Now he has taught her that she has to "Ask" before she can open the door. And now she never opens the door without "asking". :o

If I ignore it or don't hear her, she goes around to the front door and lets out a one-off bark - Hey, where are you? I am asking! Even tho she could well open that door, she doesn't until we tell her she can. :)

:)

Good Luck Mojo! I liked your reference to Harley being like a "Cartoon Dog". It's like they have the full complement of Scooby-Doo style "acting" methods. :rofl: Have you posted any pics of Harley?

Hi - Posted some pics of harley and mojo in photos!!!

post-11084-1150701193_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Overall whining is not huge in her bag of tricks, because we made a conscious decision to ignore it so she knows its ineffective.

Hi Flames Dad - I have kept on ignoring the wining thanks to your advice - it seems to be working. Just over 1 week now without Harley wining at 5am. :hug:

Thanks for the advice.