Exercise For Puppies How Much Is Too Much

dogsonly

Bikle:

Is that OK? Starting obedience classes at 5.5 months? or is he too young??

They are never too young to start Bikle. Sometimes we have to remember they are puppies so we need train in very short bursts and give lots of time out but they can start the day we get them. :D

Dogsonly:

we the buyer tend not to have a dog or two about for the pup to play with and indeed this is different from walking them on or off lead.

Puppies can learn to play games with US! Learning how to play with your dog is a very important step in learning what motivates them and in building a relationship with them. Go to any visiting dogs sports professional's seminar and one of the most common things you hear is " you people don't play with your dogs enough".

I've even from time to time reverted to dolly steps to slow her down but she is keen to be out there and has a powerful pull. I am not walking this puppy - she is walking me.

Nip it in the bud Dogsonly or 6 months from now that pup will be pulling your arms out. You need to take her out on her own and teach her that she does not go anywhere while that lead is tight. Have you clicker trained her - most clicker trained dogs get the idea of the loose lead in minutes.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikle:
Is that OK? Starting obedience classes at 5.5 months? or is he too young??

They are never too young to start Bikle. Sometimes we have to remember they are puppies so we need train in very short bursts and give lots of time out but they can start the day we get them. :D

Dogsonly:

we the buyer tend not to have a dog or two about for the pup to play with and indeed this is different from walking them on or off lead.

Puppies can learn to play games with US! Learning how to play with your dog is a very important step in learning what motivates them and in building a relationship with them. Go to any visiting dogs sports professional's seminar and one of the most common things you hear is " you people don't play with your dogs enough".

I've even from time to time reverted to dolly steps to slow her down but she is keen to be out there and has a powerful pull. I am not walking this puppy - she is walking me.

Nip it in the bud Dogsonly or 6 months from now that pup will be pulling your arms out. You need to take her out on her own and teach her that she does not go anywhere while that lead is tight. Have you clicker trained her - most clicker trained dogs get the idea of the loose lead in minutes.

How do I start changing this. I was putting her into a sit every time she did it but she just goes on doing it. What do you suggest as first steps.

Dogsonly:

How do I start changing this. I was putting her into a sit every time she did it but she just goes on doing it. What do you suggest as first steps.

If you havent' already done so, I'd suggest you enrol in formal obedience training. Exercises aside, a good school will also teach you about HOW to train.

You can do two things: reward her for the loose lead and teach her that a tight lead doesn't profit her.

Take her out on her own. When she goes to the end of the lead and it tightens, you stop. The moment she loosens the lead (she will) you mark the good behaviour (say "yes" or use your clicker) and continue on. You can also do this by changing direction when she tightens the lead, marking when it becomes loose again.

However, if you ever let her walk on a tight lead, you'll undo all your work. It takes a bit of perseverence but its definitely achievable. As a two dog owner, you need to be able to walk them both together on loose leads.

Dogsonly:

If you havent' already done so, I'd suggest you enrol in formal obedience training. Exercises aside, a good school will also teach you about HOW to train.

You can do two things: reward her for the loose lead and teach her that a tight lead doesn't profit her.

Take her out on her own. When she goes to the end of the lead and it tightens, you stop. The moment she loosens the lead (she will) you mark the good behaviour (say "yes" or use your clicker) and continue on. You can also do this by changing direction when she tightens the lead, marking when it becomes loose again.

However, if you ever let her walk on a tight lead, you'll undo all your work. It takes a bit of perseverence but its definitely achievable. As a two dog owner, you need to be able to walk them both together on loose leads.

Thank you - will continue with this practice and also use a clicker. She is not a food orientated dog but loves attention so will mark the good behaviour appropriately. She has been through Puppy school and is booked in for Obedience training. I do this with all my dogs... it cannot be missed. I will make sure my husband does the same things as he has never done puppy school or obedience training with them and will need to be reminded of how this works but repetition and same commands.