Looking For Your Next Obedience Dog?

sas

Hi Guys,

I wanted you to meet Cobber who is an adorable 7 month old Border Collie x, thought to be crossed with a Cocker due to his size and markings.

Cobber just recently came into foster care and in a 2 week period learnt how to Sit, Drop, Stay & Heel. His focus still needs improving and I must admit I have slowed down on the training front as I had been trying to proof what he has learnt to far and we've just come out of the honey moon period.

Prior to coming into foster care he had been at the shelter since he was just a bub. He gets along well with any dogs he has met and is fine with small kiddies. Way over the top larger dogs concern him such as a Great Dane running full boar at him in an attempt to intice him to play.....mind you who wouldn't be a little concerned about that!

He is an very smart young boy who we'd love to see using his talent in his new home. I could definately see him doing very well in obedience.

His focus is improving daily, at the moment when out in public the world is a very interesting place!

A companion pooch more his own size would definately allow him to be the puppy is he, as he is very calm and unfortunately Leila doesn't play with him....he's just too little for her. He loves playing fetch and most of the time will bring it back, he's also just learnt that the paddling pool is not just a huge water bowl and loves to play in his sand pit!

He house trained in a week and is very well behaved inside, usually just snoozes on his bed or plays with his toys or chew bones, definatelty not an in your face dog.

He's a massive cutie! In a 2 hour period that I left him with my parents he had them wrapped around his little paw and was on the bed having cuddles with my mother....this is the Cobber who hasn't been on the bed in our house yet!

I do have a short video of a training session with him if you'd like to have a lookie.

post-4036-1164617929_thumb.jpg

post-4036-1164617938_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We unfortunately had to turn one family down, the environment wasn't quite right for him i.e. siting in the backyard not ultilising his talent.

A smart dog without interaction or mental stimulation = Run for the hills LOL

Happy to take as many videos as people need.....I'm not an agility or flyball trainer so can't really help there, but if someone wants to see him do a certain command/s etc I'm willing to put it all on tape to show how fast he gets it etc.

Edited by sas

Happy to take as many videos as people need.....I'm not an agility or flyball trainer so can't really help there, but if someone wants to see him do a certain command/s etc I'm willing to put it all on tape to show how fast he gets it etc.

GREAT WORK SAS :laugh::laugh: Hope it works out for Cobber soon

hes so cute....for flyball purposes anything with a BC cross is highly desirable - does he have longer than usual cocker legs? any idea if hes a fast mover? he has attracted some attention in flyball circles!

Sas,

Have you thought about taking him to Castle Hill on a Tuesday night (Flyball) or a Thursday night (Agility) when training is on.

I'm pretty sure he would be impossible to resist for anyone currently looking for a dog.

I'll be going to Agility this Thursday if you wanted to bring him along. I can make an announcement so people will know he is looking for a home.

GREAT WORK SAS :thumbsup::eek: Hope it works out for Cobber soon

hes so cute....for flyball purposes anything with a BC cross is highly desirable - does he have longer than usual cocker legs? any idea if hes a fast mover? he has attracted some attention in flyball circles!

Yep longer, he doesn't have cocker legs.

I'm currently working with him to see what motivates him the most, he's had a yucky tummy the last couple of day so food is a no-go right now, usually cabanose is his favourite, he's a delictae eater though and takes forever to eat it so I have to slice the pieces very finely LOL

Toys do motivate him a bit too, he likes chasing toys.

I can't get him to play tug of war at the moment, it's like he thinks he's going to get in trouble. He's very gentle on the mouth.

He's pretty much like a previous foster who was a GSD x Cattle, when he first came out of the shelter he didn't have a great deal of confidence and it took him just over a month to start acting like a dog his age, he's now doing Agility, I believe he goes to Castle Hill, his name is Ned so if you see him you'll see how much confidence he has these days.

I'm sure he'll be able to get hyped up with no problems soon, the outside world is brand new right now so that can be a little over whelming for them to start with. It's almost like he thinks he's going to get in trouble for be a hyper puppy LOL. I think he really needs time with dogs more his size to play with, as he had plenty of puppies to play with at the shelter, my Great Dane is just too big for him.

For some reason I have appreciated him be calm probably because he's a puppy and so darn well behaved and haven't purposely tried to hype him up too much because I wasn't sure what type of home he was going to get.....however we have since decided a pet home won't be the best for him, he needs to use his brain.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll shoot you the link to the training video and you can see his body shape as well :D

Photo below of Ned:

post-4036-1164682125_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

Ok, just need to convince the OH to bring me.....what time does it start?

Sas,

Have you thought about taking him to Castle Hill on a Tuesday night (Flyball) or a Thursday night (Agility) when training is on.

I'm pretty sure he would be impossible to resist for anyone currently looking for a dog.

I'll be going to Agility this Thursday if you wanted to bring him along. I can make an announcement so people will know he is looking for a home.

Hoping you can see the length of his legs better here.

hmmm yes i see.....very nice.....and its good that hes calm! some of the things you describe you can teach a flyball dog, like toy and ball drive, its sometimes better if they dont come with too much of that already.

there will definately be someone at castle hill who would want him for flyball, although the...um...competitor in me doesnt want them to have anymore height dogs than they already have :(

i would take him right now if i wasnt renting and could squeeze another one. :thumbsup: im sure he will find somewhere soon, he looks adorable

Have talked the OH into going on Thursday nights to Agility, he can take our Great Dane and I'll take Cobber.

It will be a great opportunity for Cobber to interact with some other doggies more his size.

Side note: The classes are 1 hour in duration?

Edited by sas

Have talked the OH into going on Thursday nights to Agility, he can take our Great Dane and I'll take Cobber.

It will be a great opportunity for Cobber to interact with some other doggies more his size.

Side note: The classes are 1 hour in duration?

That's awesome!!!

Yes the classes are 1 hour for beginners (7.30-8.30) and 1 1/2 for advanced (8.00-9.30).

Only problem is...I'm pretty sure tomorrow night is the last night of training for the year & the following Thursday is the Christmas party. Holly?

Tomorrow is comp night for advanced, so a great opportunity to take Cobber as people are standing around waiting for their turn to run the comp, so they have plenty of time to have a good look at him. Will also give you a great idea of what you are aiming for as an end result.

I think training starts back in 1st or 2nd week of Feb.

I'll look out for you guys tomorrow night, I can't wait to meet Cobber, I just can't get his little face out of my head.

Edited by Vickie

mmmmm well maybe we'll just go for a lookie tomorrow night rather than sign up as Cobber may not be with us in February.

Vicky would you be able to introduce us to some people? I'll provide free cuddles (not with me but with Cobber!) LOL

Edited by sas

LOL, you can cuddle mine if I can cuddle yours :(

medium.jpg

She is 6 months, so a perfect age to be a playmate for him.

I can introduce you to people & there's usually an announcement about the comp, so we can announce him to everyone then.

I don't usually get there till 8, will try for a bit earlier...depends on HB & kids though