Demodectic Mange

Zorro_007

Advocate doesn't treat demodectic mange but only treats sarcoptic mange.

Advocate is registered for the treatment of both demodectic and sarcoptic mange.

Revolution however is only registered for the treatment of sarcoptic mange.

Oh ok, I use Advocate on my pets and it only lists sarcoptic mange on the packaging but hey, I have been wrong before and surely will be again :) Thanks for the info.

When our girl had demodectic mange there was no such thing as advocate and she was treated with Ivermectin orally for a LONG time, poor girl never did get better :D She was so sweet but went quite insane with the pain and itch and who knows what the Ivermectin did to her but she went MAD.

Advocate doesn't treat demodectic mange but only treats sarcoptic mange.

Advocate is registered for the treatment of both demodectic and sarcoptic mange.

Revolution however is only registered for the treatment of sarcoptic mange.

Oh ok, I use Advocate on my pets and it only lists sarcoptic mange on the packaging but hey, I have been wrong before and surely will be again :) Thanks for the info.

When our girl had demodectic mange there was no such thing as advocate and she was treated with Ivermectin orally for a LONG time, poor girl never did get better :D She was so sweet but went quite insane with the pain and itch and who knows what the Ivermectin did to her but she went MAD.

The advocate box should say: generalised demodicosis Demodex canis.

Just above the point on Sarcoptic mange.

It also says that when adminstered at monthly intervals for 2-4 treatments and a 97.84% reduction in mite numbers. While it may be effective in keeping it away. 2-4 months would be too long for me to wait to see any effect.

Oh ok, I use Advocate on my pets and it only lists sarcoptic mange on the packaging but hey, I have been wrong before and surely will be again :D Thanks for the info.

If you bought the box a while ago it may not be listed on there (hence the confusion). The research and extra registration requirements were being finalised several months after Advocate was released and there was a lag period before the additional information actually appeared on the box.

Hi Tangerine, I have heard of Ectodex which is basically amitraz and I am too scared to use this product as I have heard of a few dogs dying because of it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have introduced the Ivomec in low doses and so far so good so I'll stick it out although I did some more research on ivermectin's side effects and I was disheartened but there isn't much else that can be done.

Do you know that if you just let it be, give your dog a good diet, it will clear up on its own just as quickly? And you don't have to pump your dog full of chemicals? It is a simple immune response and the dog will recover on its own, just like you do when you get a cold.

This thread came up not long ago, maybe do a search.

nynka, yes I know that some cases of localised DM clears on its own accord providing that the dog is on a nutritious diet and given immune boosters but generalised DM is much harder to treat and usually doesn't clear up on its own albeit I helped a friend's japanese chin which had generalised DM, I took her in and looked after her for 4 months and her condition cleared and it's been well over 12 months and there is no sign of it nowadays.

I tried taking that path with Luna and it's been 2 months now...I have tried everything from a BARF diet supplemented with fish oil, Vit. E, Vit. B & C, Evening Primrose Oil, etc etc but her condition has deteriorated so I really can't let it go on at the rate that it is going. I think that once the mites invade the body to this extent they have to be destroyed and although a nutritious diet will help to strengthen her immune system to a degree (providing that her condition has been caused by neglect from her previous owners) but if there is an underlying health reason as to why the mites have multiplied then drastic measures have to be taken besides which I would like to get to the bottom of things and have a total blood panel carried out to see whether she does have a health problem and try to resolve that problem but according to the vet she doesn't seem to think that Luna has any underlying health problems and has recommended we start with the Ivomec and not to worry about any underlying problems.

Since the condition hasnt cleared the natural way then Ivomec is my only choice. I honestly can't wait for Luna to grow her coat and start looking normal again, she really is a great specimen for her breed although at the moment she looks moth eaten, poor girl...she has the most beautiful amber eyes with black eyeliner.

Edited by Zorro_007

Guess I learnt the hard way with one of my dogs from many years ago. Went through the whole Ivomectin once a week injection. I hated doing that to my dog. It didn't help at all. I saw no improvement after the required time (can't remember now if it was 4 or 6 weeks). When I said to the vet, what now?, THEN they told me, well, it will clear up on its on eventually. At that point I realised that they were just trying to help me by taking my money and doing something, but not necessarily something that works(!) nor something that I considered to be good for my dogs health.

She did get better on her own a few weeks later. I have had a few minor outbreak of Demodex since then and I have not treated it. I have been able to link them back to times of stress for the animal and they have always recovered quickly without the need for dangerous chemicals to be taken internally.

Maybe get a second or third opinion on your dog's condition and you might find a solution.

• 3 months later...

Hello Guys,

I just found out my baby girl has localised Demodex just on her mouth. She is de-sexed and just on 8 months old her diet consists of a super premium dry food aswell as BARF. I got her as a rescue dog at 3.5 months i did give her extra supplements to help her coat as it was quiet dull. My vet was quiet disheartened when she saw the scraping, there were over 6 little mites on one slide :thumbsup: , as she is a collie she cant be treated with ivermectim so she gave me a wash called Demadex hopefully this will work, has anyone ever used this?

Thanks Gunna