Puppy Recovering...

PRADA68

I have had a nightmare of a time with my puppy this week she is nine weeks old and came down with gastro earlier in the week. She spent the night at the vets on the drip, antibiotics and electrolites. She has recovered now. Nearly back to normal self, however I have her on boiled chicken for the last two days.

Chicken fillets apart from costing a small fortune to feed her :laugh: which I dont mind I was wondering if there has been anyone else in the same situation, and what did you start them on after the chicken?

Without upsetting their delicate system. Some suggestions would be great!! Thanks.

Yes I thought of those also chicken maryland boiled and meat stripped off the bones. With cutting all the fat and skin off so left with the lean meat.

The thigh is no where as lean as the breast. The reason you want low fat is that once the intestines are inflamed fat is usually pro-inflammatory. By the time you trim the maryland and debone it, it's probably not going to be much cheaper anyway. Some butchers sell the breasts at about $7 kg which isn't too bad.

Your vet should have told you when to start reintroducing her normal diet.

Edited by bloss344

I will be contacting my vet in the morning in regards to her diet as she is still on chicken fillets which is fine as long as she gets better, at the moment she is eating better than me but I dont care I just want my puppy back thats all.

My pup had the same thing - although he ended up at the vets for 10 days with surgery to try to clean out the infection in his intestine. (See earlier post 'Sick Puppy')

After a long recovery time, Diesel is now back to normal eating patterns. I had him on bbq chicken (no skin or bones) for about a week, then introduced boiled chicken, rice, veg and a bit of gravy. Just slowly introduce 'normal' food back into the diet. You may get the occasional spew if it is too rich (avoid sausage meat :rofl: ). But she will get there and be back to her normal 'puppy personality'!

Good luck!

Darcy my youngest dog had three days on a drip with haemorrhagic gastro a couple of years ago. I started him on boiled chicken and rice, then a home made "chicken stew with rice and veggies" (smelled really nice) then back on to raw food.

He also had "piglet mix" anti-scour electrolites for about 3 days.