Puppy Choice Based On Drive

That reminds me of when I got my first Vizsla (I have bred my subsequent ones). She was the one in the litter that was pointing at a quail wing on a bit of fishing line at eight weeks. However the breeder's partner who had his own prefix, bred for the field, and did lots of field work said that it didn't really matter as the others were just as likely to be birdy as they grew up.

At the recent Rhonda Carter agility seminar we discussed dogs, picking pups, and drive. She said that a few years ago in the US people were picking the very high drive ones and ending up with barely trainable dogs - dogs that needed lots of work to get them out of the over the top zone and into the learning and listening zone. Now they are going for the middle of the litter. This wasn't stated specifically at the time, but the middle of the litter on litters bred for performance would be different to the middle of the litter on litters bred to be quiet companions ... again that goes to the importance of knowing the breeding lines and what the pup's ancestry is like.

Edited by sidoney

Tangwyn make enquiries with the Flatcoated Retriever Club in Victoria as there are a few trialing in retrieving. Bushman Kennels and also Torlum. But Torlum don't breed much at all. The flatcoat retriever club even have a training day once a year. If you are getting a flatcoat be prepared for all the lickiness. If you lived near me, you could come and have a look at my boy. He is 5 but most people think he is 1!!!! LOL

Did you speak to Judy? She is very nice. Once I was at Canberra doing flyball with Josh, and I said hello, and she gave Josh a "show cut" even though he is definately not a show dog. Did you know that Josh is the only flatcoated retriever in Australia to do flyball? She knows Josh well. Her daughter is very nice and has won some awards for junior handler in showing. Her daughter got flown over to South Australia by Pedigree. One of her flatcoats took the judges scarf off from around her neck. Hilarious. Flatcoats are different to golden retreivers. They don't like a lot of repetition such as obedience. I found Josh loves tracking, lure coursing and flyball. He tracks for a tennis ball.

Hi CTD,

(Sorry all for heading :offtopic: but) yes, I did speak to Judy and she was really lovely :) She was so helpful and friendly and her dogs were gorgeous.

I looked at the pups on Sunday. Really pleased with the quality in the litter - the pups were even in type and temperament. The breeder has done a great job with them. Ranked my favourites 1 to 3 and will be happy with any of those. Can't wait to get my boy home and get started! :thumbsup:

Tangwyn

This may be odd, but I think it is relevant. Your question reminded me of a story I heard about a sheepdog person. When asked how he would choose a pup from a litter, his response was "I'd take the one no-one else wanted".

When I heard the story, it made me think...Now I am in a different place & I totally agree with his sentiments.

Anyone care to guess the point?

I guess that's true if the other people have chosen puppies for pets or for confirmation. I want good drive but I don't want too much drive that the dog is just too much. But in saying that I want a dog that wants to be with me as well and not being terribly independent.....I think I'm going to have a really hard time choosing a puppy when the time comes.

Edited by sas