Biting Pup

Chubbz

Hi all,

I recently bought home a puppy and for the past 2 weeks she has been constantly biting at our feet and hands. I understand that she is teething at the moment but is it ok for her to be constantly biting? Or will this lead to issues later on down the track?

She has plenty of toys and bones etc, but always prefers to bite at our hands and feet....

I guess I am hoping it will be a phase that will pass....

never wait for things to pass. Remember your dog will get away with what you allow. Biting is a pups way of initiating play in the litter but keep letting it and you will have a dog that bites HARD and jumps all over you.

When the pup nips grab it by the scruff and growl GRRRR NO. Let it settle, if it continues then turn around and walk off, leave it alone. Let it know that rough play is NEVER acceptable.

NEVER smack the puppy, push it etc. One grab, firm but not too rough and the pup will get the idea. Remeber be consistant and persistant. Keep treats and toys so when the pup settles you show it what it can munch on. Never punish a dog without showing it what the right thing to do is - you end up with a pup that gets nervy from being told off all the time. Most of all have patience and a heck of a lot of fun cos the little buggers grow up quick! Photos pleeeeeeeeease!

Hi chubz,

Our pup used to do the same and it got to the point where when my boss came over that she left teeth marks on his hand. Our vet advised us to do a few things. One. A loud owe whenever she did it to let her know that she hurt us and that its not ok. She told us to not say no to the dog as they dont understand words and if you were having an argument with someone and saying no to them the dog will get confused. So use language that dogs understand. Two. If it continued we could use a spray bottle to squirt at her to distract her from the bad behaviour and then focus on the good behaviour like chewing a toy instead of your hand. Hope this helps.

Good luck. Cant wait to see pics too.