Puppies Ears - Different Size/shape?

david99

Hi all,

I have a Doberman pup that is now 3 and half months old. His ears are not docked obviously.

I have noticed within the last week that his ears hang differently. I initially thought they were simply different sizes but it’s like ones more erect at the top than the other and that’s what gives off that impression – at least I think. Unfortunately my camera is out of action at the moment so I can’t show you exactly what I’m talking about…it's like one goes out straight and hangs normally creating the V shape where as the other kinda angles backwards and creates more of a || shape.

The plot thickens though, as looking back on photos taken about a month ago it seems like he didn’t always have this ‘ailment’, and that both his ears used to ‘hang’ exactly the same ie V V

Is ear wonkiness normal during puppyhood? Or is it possible that his ear may have been damaged in anyway? He does has some puppy mates and they all like chewing on each others ears - puppies will be puppies!

Thanks all!

Puppies ears can do all sorts of things while the pup is teething. I wouldn't worry too much, however massaging the ear that isn't sitting right wont hurt. I'm sure you'll get comments from other Dobermann owners, but my Whippets ears were all over the place while he was teething and they sit beautifully now :thumbsup:

This is a prime time for ear infections so keep an eye on what is going on inside his ears and that they smell OK.

If massage doesn't work on getting the ear to settle you can ask the breeder about taping or glueing the ear into the correct position, once the ear carteledge hardens at 6+months you will be stuck with whatever shape the ears are normally carried in