Check Chains ( Choker Chains ) Used For Obedience Training

Hi All

I am thinking of enrolling my pup at the Knox Obedience Club : http://www.knoxodc.org.au/

The club has a well structured program with testing by a V.C.A obedience judge before moving up classes in the higher levels.

One of the requirements is a correction collar. Would the collar be classified as cruelty ?

I don't want to hurt or really punish my dog for doing something wrong. Just want to make it a enjoyable thing !

Edited by beaglenewb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always found check chains to be a great aid in training but I have rottweilers. They are not cruel if used correctly.

I think though that you have to wait before your pup is a certain age before you start using them. Others may be able to guide you with that.

Edited to note that I have previously owned beagles and I feel that they would benefit from a check chain as they can be stubborn and difficult to train.

Edited by Pawprints

No. Like all training tools it is how it is used that determines whether or not it is abusive.

However, the requirement for a correction collar tells me this club may be somewhat old school. You may wish to find a club that use more positive motivational methods. Any club that won't allow a beagle to be trained using food needs a rethink.

Yes a check chain is cruel if it is used incorrectly. If the club wants u to have a check chain they had better b showing everyone how to use them correctly. I have always used a check chain on all my dogs but would never recommend them to someone unless they are shown how to use them and put them on correctly. I find it unusual that a club would only allow them though.

No. Like all training tools it is how it is used that determines whether or not it is abusive.

However, the requirement for a correction collar tells me this club may be somewhat old school. You may wish to find a club that use more positive motivational methods. Any club that won't allow a beagle to be trained using food needs a rethink.

Thats what I thought, I haven't found an obedience school for ages that advocate the use of check chains the entire time. Yes beagles can be trained by food but for walking we have always used check chains with ours.

But like the others said it is important that they are used correctly otherwise it woud be cruel and harmful to the dog.

Thanks

I am trying to find a club close to me that offers the more positive reinforcement but have yet to find one.

So does the dog feel any pain from these collars ?

Where are you in Melbourne?

Most clubs these days offer +'ve reinforcement.

The dogs do not feel pain from the collars if they are used correctly.

The chains have to be positioned properly on the neck to ensure maximum result with minimum stress to the neck and dog. They are used to deliver a quick "tightening" effect but without choking the dog.

If they are put on the right way so that the chain slides and releases, it will not hurt the dog. It merely produces a quick tightening around the neck which they respond favourably to in order to reduce the tightness.

I got this from the website

"Alternative training methods are currently being taught in the Puppy Preschool and Baby Puppy Class and may be adopted for individual cases in higher classes if deemed appropriate."

Could this mean no correction collar ?

So does the dog feel any pain from these collars ?

Does the dog feel excessive pain, NO

Does the dog feel significant pain, NO

Does the dog feel ANY pain/discomfort YES - If not, the dog would ignore the collar and continue doing whatever it liked.

Best of luck training your beagle, in my experience they are one of the hardest breeds to train. They get that nose down on a scent and become oblivious to everything else around them. The beagles I'm familiar with are hunting hounds, perhaps those from pet/show stock aren't quite this bad. Training in areas with as few distracting scents as possible would be a good idea to start with.

I got this from the website

"Alternative training methods are currently being taught in the Puppy Preschool and Baby Puppy Class and may be adopted for individual cases in higher classes if deemed appropriate."

Could this mean no correction collar ?

YES - I'd say that's exactly what it means.

I have always used correction collars on all my beagles with nothing but positive results. Like any form of correction if you are taught the correct way to use it it is beneficial for both you and your beagle. I have used a halti on one of our rescues as she had never been put on a lead and reacated strongly against any kind of chains; but besides her i have never had an issue.

I would never take my beagles out for a walk without a correction collar as when a beagle picks up a scent they can be both strong and stubborn in their need to pull to get to that scent!

Pm me if you want to know some excellent clubs in Vic that do understand the beagle mind!

Correction collars are not cruel and are an effective training technique. All it requires is for you as a trainer/handler to decide what method exactly you want to use. Personally, I prefer no/ minimal correction while TRAINING (hehe - they certianly get a good yelling at if they are just being plain cheeky!). I also don't particularly like clubs that say you MUST use correction chains or that you MUST never say "no" to your dog. I like to be somewhere in the middle - if you do what I want, you get all these good things, and if you don't, you get things you don't want etc,etc. Try and find a club that will allow you to sit somewhere in the middle....

Again - I say what I said in your previous post - check out Croydon. Go down to a few clubs in feb and see what you think of them. If you come to Croydon, tell me and I can spare some time to have a chat with you etc :)

Personally I haven't had to use a correction collar on my beagles. I was shown a trick for keeping their nose off the ground and then used food as an attention getter to teach well mannered walking. my girls know when the treats are in the bag they can have a wonder but if I have a treat in my hand they must pay attention and heal.

Best of luck training your beagle, in my experience they are one of the hardest breeds to train. They get that nose down on a scent and become oblivious to everything else around them. The beagles I'm familiar with are hunting hounds, perhaps those from pet/show stock aren't quite this bad. Training in areas with as few distracting scents as possible would be a good idea to start with.

I have heard this sooo many times but with my girls and the 8 or so fosters I have had I have not had a problem getting their attention in the off leash park (fully fenced of coarse) with the aid of yet again the trusty little treat bag :) My girls can be on the other side of the park and yes they won't even look up if I call but one jiggle of the treat bag and they nearly break the land speed record to return :rolleyes:

beaglenewb, go and watch a few classes in the club you choose to get a feel for them. If you are comfortable with what you see then you should be fine. If you see dogs out of control or in pain, stay well clear.

Freckles i hae to agree with you 100% with getting their attention with treats and being able to use treat training in conjunction with other methods.

Beaglenewb: I also agree with freckles, go and have a look at the training clubs and speak to the trainers and see what suits you. I spent months deciding on the best club for my guys.

Beagles are NOT as hard to train as people say they are, you just need to understand the breed and learn how to trick their active minds!

But for my guys its correction collars all the way!

Edited by crazy beagle lady

beaglenewb I have PMed you

Beagles are NOT as hard to train as people say they are, you just need to understand the breed and learn how to trick their active minds!

Do you know how many times I have said this myself CBL :hug: Actually I just said it in the pm to beaglenewb as well :)

Believe me I'm not against the use of correction chains, I just haven't had to use one on the beagles.