Jumping...

nick&erica

sas: Yes we brought him from the paper...though we knew a lot about rottweilers (husband is a previous owner) we were completely oblivious about pedigree'd purebreds etc this is way before we had the net and had no idea about BYB vs Registered reputible breeders.

But hey that's not sams fault that's ours :rofl:

We love him none the less and now we have found this site and have educated ourselves on the matter we are now passionatly against all BYB puppy farms etc and have strongly passed this on to all we know :)

Edited by nick&erica

Hi Sas,

Yeah I know we shouldnt yell at her but she will not take any notice when we growl at her or yelp, she just gets more hypo if you make any noises or she barks back at you, as if to say dont tell me off, which we have roused on her for cause I know thats a dominating thing and she has to know we are boss.

I have never had one like this before.

My kids are 15 and 13 and she is better with them now as well but my neice and nephews are 7,7 and 4 and it just dosnt sink in that its the wrong thing to do.

My daughter is convinced she has ADD and thats exactly what shes like :rofl:

When she starts on the kids I grab her collar and tell her to settle and she knows thats what she should be doing cause she gives me a lick and looks at me as if to say yeah I know, I know then as soon as I let her go she goes and grabs them again, so I take the kids away and thats when she starts crying for them to come back out , it is very frustrating cause she is such a lovely pup.

If the kids get the ball she'll chase it and bring it back to them to play and dosn't bite them then but I dont always remember to bring in a ball for them to take out to her .

Its really hard cause I know she dosnt mean to hurt you she just wants to hold you :)

Hi Sas,

Yeah I know we shouldnt yell at her but she will not take any notice when we growl at her or yelp, she just gets more hypo if you make any noises or she barks back at you, as if to say dont tell me off, which we have roused on her for cause I know thats a dominating thing and she has to know we are boss.

I have never had one like this before.

My kids are 15 and 13 and she is better with them now as well but my neice and nephews are 7,7 and 4 and it just dosnt sink in that its the wrong thing to do.

My daughter is convinced she has ADD and thats exactly what shes like ;)

When she starts on the kids I grab her collar and tell her to settle and she knows thats what she should be doing cause she gives me a lick and looks at me as if to say yeah I know, I know then as soon as I let her go she goes and grabs them again, so I take the kids away and thats when she starts crying for them to come back out , it is very frustrating cause she is such a lovely pup.

If the kids get the ball she'll chase it and bring it back to them to play and dosn't bite them then but I dont always remember to bring in a ball for them to take out to her .

Its really hard cause I know she dosnt mean to hurt you she just wants to hold you :)

Yelling does one of 2 things.....scares the dog so you won't have a dog that respects you and 2 it excites the dog.

If she barks back at you I would get her back into her place pronto! I'd suggest the Jan Fennel book to you as well and implement the NILIF program asap.

If you don't find she's responding to the yelps, I would say they're not realistic enough, if you can't manage her, give her a 2 minute time out.

It's funny when you say you've never had a dog like her before.....out of the last 10 foster dogs I've had, none of them have been remotely the same.....in the same respect of humans they all have their individual personalities. Personaly I like the naughty ones, I think they're easier to train :rofl:

sas: We did contact the owner but he was not interested in speaking with us. I'm not sure if i'm the same person your thinking of but anyways...he was basically like "and....what do you want me to say and uhhh...whats that?"

So needless to say he can go and get stuffed.

He has been predicted he will have hip dysplsia but of course they will have to take x-rays at 12 months ;) he is only 5 months now and has problems well he's had obvious problems since we got him so I dare say it's going to come back pretty bad :)

But he's family and a lovely natured boy and is a perfect example of why people should not BYB esp. if they have no idea about the defects it can create in the breed :rofl:

post-14617-1172151279_thumb.jpg

OK Sas I'll have a look for the book you suggest.

When I say I've never had one like her before I do realise that they are all different and I've always had my dogs from puppies, what I mean is that we have been unable to train her not to do this :o I've never had a puppie take so long to teach, not to bite.I dont mean temperment wise

Its just, as I said before, that she is so smart, you only have to show or tell her anything else once and she does it but this GOD damn biting thing :confused:

And when I say yell its not a scream yell its a loud stern voice yell and I can assure you ,you couldnt scare her with a bomb going off under her, so dont be thinking this poor little tyke is a quivering mess she has more confidence than any other pup I've ever seen in my 30 years of having dogs and pups of different breeds

I absolutly love her to death but she does have me tearing my hair out :confused: What dosnt kill you makes you stromger isnt that what they say?She is beautiful isnt she!!!!!!!!!

Nick and Erica your pups breeder sounds like a great fellow :D

sas: We did contact the owner but he was not interested in speaking with us. I'm not sure if i'm the same person your thinking of but anyways...he was basically like "and....what do you want me to say and uhhh...whats that?"

So needless to say he can go and get stuffed.

He has been predicted he will have hip dysplsia but of course they will have to take x-rays at 12 months :happydance: he is only 5 months now and has problems well he's had obvious problems since we got him so I dare say it's going to come back pretty bad ;)

But he's family and a lovely natured boy and is a perfect example of why people should not BYB esp. if they have no idea about the defects it can create in the breed :happydance:

Bugger, be rest assured there are plenty of things you can do for your boy :rolleyes:

post-14617-1172151279_thumb.jpg

OK Sas I'll have a look for the book you suggest.

When I say I've never had one like her before I do realise that they are all different and I've always had my dogs from puppies, what I mean is that we have been unable to train her not to do this ;) I've never had a puppie take so long to teach, not to bite.I dont mean temperment wise

Its just, as I said before, that she is so smart, you only have to show or tell her anything else once and she does it but this GOD damn biting thing :happydance:

And when I say yell its not a scream yell its a loud stern voice yell and I can assure you ,you couldnt scare her with a bomb going off under her, so dont be thinking this poor little tyke is a quivering mess she has more confidence than any other pup I've ever seen in my 30 years of having dogs and pups of different breeds

I absolutly love her to death but she does have me tearing my hair out :happydance: What dosnt kill you makes you stromger isnt that what they say?She is beautiful isnt she!!!!!!!!!

Nick and Erica your pups breeder sounds like a great fellow :rolleyes:

Sorry looks like I mis-communicated.

I never thought you screamed at your dog :rolleyes:

If she's responding well to her other training I would definately say she's getting something out of biting/nipping at you, and at first guess I would say it's the reaction you're giving her.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get there :rofl:

sas: Yeah we've been told to do a few things by the vet to help with it esp. over the first 12 months, he's on a strict diet, vit.c, glucosamine, and of course his serving of mackeral or sardines. Also no vigerous exercise, no going up stairs and NO JUMPING! EEk which is what he's decided he likes doing over the last 2 weeks but we're getting it under control :happydance: Hopefully all these things will prevent his hips getting any worse ;)

Yep, I had a young foster who had sevre HD & ED and it was pretty much impossible to stop him from being the teenage dog he was.

Our decision because he so advanced in the displaysia was to let him have quality of life without the pain (on medication) and then when the time came we would do what was neccessary).

You have a young puppy with plenty of opportunities even surgery later on.

I feel funny posting this as it is only my second post but I agree with Saltwood - totally ignore the pup when he is misbehaving. Turn your back on him until he looks at you with that "well what do I do now?" expression. When he seems desperate for attention, tell him to "sit" and once he is behaving, give him a pat. At this stage, he will start jumping again. Repeat, only acknowledging him when he is sitting like an angel. At first its a bit tricky getting that window of opportunity to give a pat before they play up again but for a smart dog like a Rotty, he should get the message soon enough.

(another good thing is not to make a fuss when you leave - no lingering goodbye's - just walk out)

We were also told this at puppy training. As soon as they jump, turn in the other direction. The important thing seems to be consistency. Whilst I was okay at doing this, my OH used to give our puppy huge pats and cuddles when she jumped up ( this was basically undoing all the stuff I was doing and basically rewarding her for jumping.

Sometimes I think it is easier to train the dog than the OH. :hug::rofl: ;) :) ;)

I now its sounds feasible to turn away and ignore them but what do you do when they then jump onto your back, as my little darlin does :hug: and they nearly knock you into next week :rofl:

Carli thinks that when you stick your knee out that your just giving her a helping hand to jump back up ;)

carli: sam was doing this also jumping on my back when I turned and he's a big pup and nearly knocked me over a couple of times! I didn't turn back round again unless he came round to the front of me and jumped again. I just continued to completely ignore he could jump all he wanted but wasn't even getting eye contact with me. And my arms were folded.

He's soon give up and sit down...only then would I praise and continue walking. It is hard when they jump up and you have to struggle to find your balance but put your legs apart a bit get a firm stance and prepare yourself for it! lol....

my sam is still jumping a bit but now it's only in the mornings when he soooo....happy to see me...

vetassisst: I have the same problem! with my OH and step daughters...my son is good as he watches me do it every day so when they get too close to him he says "ahah" and lifts his arms up and stands still untill they sit or go...and he's 2.5yrs!!! my oh and s.daughters always encourage him (unknowingly) despite me telling them exactly what they have to do and how important it is....I have no idea how to get around this! Eeek...

Sas: Yes when he gets 12 months and they can find out exactly how severe he is we will be looking at our options depending (medication etc) we don't want him in any pain, he seems comfortable enough at the moment and keeping him really lean has helped a lot for his energy. :hug: