Help - 4.30am Wake Up!

Kylie and the black Lab

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I have a beautiful black lab named Jedda who is 17 weeks old. She is training well, is very settled, goes to bed outside - basically does everything that you'd expect from a lab puppy except she wakes up and starts barking anytime between 4.15am and 5.30am. :laugh:

Does the ignore her thing really work - as we tried thismorning and she barked solid from 5.15 to 6am. Stopped for 15 mins and then started again at 6.15. We only let her inside when she stopped barking, but as soon as we let her in she started barking at my hubby again. :thumbsup:

We are walking her twice a day - morning and evening. While we are at work she has treats and toys as well as a shell pool to play in..... so is this just an attention thing????

Any advice is well received!!

thanks heaps!!!

Have you checked to see whether there is anything happening outside of your yard to cause her to bark? Lilly my lab x wolfy barks at hours like that some mornings and it is usually when someone is walking next to our fence line or other dogs are barking. I usually just use the 'quiet' command and she stops.

Maybe its the birds. Generally the birds in my area start around about that time of the morning just befor the sun starts to come up.

As for how to stop it I'm not sure, the only thing I could think of is perhaps a squirt bottle and give her a spray of water when she starts?

Tash

Ahhh sorry - I just worked out that my pups are 20 weeks old not 17 :scold:

Can't keep up with them!!!

If she's from Doribank then she isn't a Driftway. Technically she is a Doribank labrador. She might be from Driftway bloodlines though.

Edited by blacklabrador

barking anytime between 4.15am and 5.30am. :D

Does the ignore her thing really work - as we tried thismorning and she barked solid from 5.15 to 6am. Stopped for 15 mins and then started again at 6.15.

You have neighbors and you let your dog bark this long, at this time of the morning ???????

PLEASE.... don't ever come live next door to me.......

Kylie

Are you in town or a more rural location? We have labradors and our home backs onto natural bush land but we are actually in town. There is a corridor of bush that runs right through the middle of town and our dogs used to bark for seemingly no reason. Then one night we heard the kangaroos and now we know when the roos are around - the labs tell us. :D

Just a thought!

:D BREAKTHROUGH!

Ignore does work!!

I woke Jedda up at 6.30am thismorning - praised her and took her for a walk straightaway.

Let's see how we go tomorrow as last night she had Junior school so was very very tired!!

:p

Good to hear that 'ignore' has won out again.

I am an early riser (late for me is 6 am) and my dogs all learn to rise early. But when my [late riser] mother was alive and used to dog sit for me, it was amazing how well and how rapidly the dogs learned that 'get up and cuddle time' was more like 9 am.

I actually wrote all our neighbours a letter advising them we were training her to sleep outside. Yesterday I saw 2 of them and they said they don't even hear her!

We live on a corner block with a vacant block next door and one neighbour behind (who says he doesn't hear her)

So I am a considerate neighbour!!!

Yes,

you did the right thing, I apologise to you.

Congrats on your breakthrough