Urbandogz Hobart

I seriously don't leave the house very often! I have a couple of classes at uni each week and grocery shopping and occasionally appointments and errands, but that's about it. I think that's why I managed to keep Ivy for 2 months and initially didn't even realise there was a problem!

Where are your dogs located and what breed are they? After my experience with Ivy, I'm very wary about getting an adult dog again. I'd rather wait until I can afford to buy a puppy from a really good breeder and ensure that I can raise it properly. The problem with getting a dog as an adult is that one has no control over its genetics or its previous environment.

Edited by FANG

Oh sorry, they're my dogs, not fosters. :D That sentence I wrote was a bit vague though. :thumbsup:

I think you can have just as many probs with pups as with adult dogs. It is really easy to create separation anxiety so I would read up on what to do before you get your next pup, things like making leaving and arriving very low key and low stress for the dog, modifying routines, building up your 'away' time very slowly and giving the dog things to do when you leave etc.

Also anxious mother dogs create anxious pups, and then you are behind the 8 ball as well, so yes, research the breed, then the breeder, then the parents! :laugh:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Yeah, I'm definitely planning to do lots of research before getting a puppy. I want to get it right next time. This time has been very painful for me.

Thanks for your advice. Sorry I misunderstood your other post!

Mornir, how do you find the HCOC w/regard to reactive dogs? (are they in any way related to the group that's on the eastern shore?)

I know that before we got Gypsy (at about 1.5) she was taken to two lessons "somewhere" where the solution to her barking was to alpha roll her and pin her down. Given that we spent the first 6 months of her life teaching her that it was okay to be sitting/laying anywhere within 5 feet of us, I don't want to see that approach taken again -- are they more flexible?

I'm sorry, but I can't comment much on this one, other than to say that each instructor is different and I have no doubt that some would be good in this case, and others not so good. Best thing would be to contact them personally and discuss with them. My fave instructors are Dot and Greg. I reckon Greg would help you a LOT.

I have heard of some clubs where your dog can wear a special coloured jacket to show it needs space or whatever, but I haven't seen this done at HCOC.

I have never heard of alpha rolling being used at our club. They focus on positive training mainly.

They are a separate training club to Eastern Shore but I have never been there so have no idea what they are like.

Your best bet is to come along and watch and then speak to an instructor. If you know in advance, let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you so that I can point out the good ones :thumbsup: