Shine's Second Day

Vickie,

Just wondering why is the dog dragging a line around????? I have been training in herding for nearly 3 years now and not once do I leave a line dragging behind the dog.

If you have the basics down (in a round yard) you should be able to stop your dog. Stopping and coming is about all the commands you need. We don't put any other commands on our working dogs until they grow up. If the dog is working properly it uses its natural instinct on where it should be to balance the sheep to you. I am currently training 2 working kelpie pups who are 6 & 7 months old and working well. They can both be stopped and they come when they are called, on and off sheep. I have also trained a German Shepherd to a basic level who was also working nicely.

She looks great in the videos. If you want some expert training, I would suggest going to Robert & Jenny Cox at Belgenny Farm at Camden. They run regular clinics out there. None of the dogs they train go into the ring with a lead on.

Don't stop the training during winter, this is the best time as its cool for sheep and dogs. A little bit, and often goes a long way to training both dog and handler. Its a fantastic sport. Hope to see you at trials in the future. Have fun with your dogs.

Regards

Jenny

Just wondering why is the dog dragging a line around????? I have been training in herding for nearly 3 years now and not once do I leave a line dragging behind the dog.

If you want some expert training, I would suggest going to Robert & Jenny Cox at Belgenny Farm at Camden. None of the dogs they train go into the ring with a lead on.

The reason is that the people that I am training with advise it when a dog is first starting as mine is. Like everything I guess, there are different opinions...many experts do it & many don't. The line is light & doesn't seem to be bothering her, she probably doesn't need it, but I think it is hard to predict how a pup will respond first time & moving to a bigger area, so it is just a safety measure & I don't want her learnign that she can blow me off. I am happy with her recall both on & off stock so far & she will learn to stop on stock as we go along.

She looks great in the videos.

Thank you :) Would love to see some video of your pups if you have any.