Soreback And Tail

dallmatt1

Hi

My 5mth old collie has a nip at me when i touch the middle of his back and his tail, ihave taken him to 2 vets the first gave him an injection and a course of tablets he looked fine for a couple of days after the course but again developed a sore back,tail the 2nd vet gave him another injection and asked if i knew a reputable greyhound person i said no is there anyone

out there that knows of anyone around the riverina area please as i might have to put my little mate to sleep

Did either vet suggest further tests or x-rays to find out if it is anything else? It seems to me that neither vet looked very hard into what it might be, and if the second vet was aware that it occurred already, they should have done more to find the cause... There are plenty of good Chiro's out there but IMO you should get the vets to dig deeper to find the cause... Chiro's treat the problem, but they may not be able to tell you why it is occuring...

I'd recommend you take your dog to a qualified veterinary chiropractor. Some greyhound chiros are great and some frankly are quacks.

I like the person who manipulates my dog's spine to be qualified.

Here's a link to the Australian Veterinary Chiropactors Association. It has a contact list with state by state locations for people.

http://www.chirovet.com.au/

I'd send it to your vet too. You'd think a vet could actually recommend a qualified practictioner wouldn't you. :)

Edited by poodlefan

Hi

My 5mth old collie has a nip at me when i touch the middle of his back and his tail, ihave taken him to 2 vets the first gave him an injection and a course of tablets he looked fine for a couple of days after the course but again developed a sore back,tail the 2nd vet gave him another injection and asked if i knew a reputable greyhound person i said no is there anyone

out there that knows of anyone around the riverina area please as i might have to put my little mate to sleep

Try John Martin in Wagga Wagga. Greyhound man who also works on performance horses.

Edited: because I meant to PM this rather than post it, PM me if you want his contact details.

Edited by anita

I'd definately get the vets to work this up. X-rays should definately be done to make sure there is nothing abnormal going on in the spine, particularly before you have a chiro working on it!!!

Could also be a skin problem? That area is the area that often gets the most irritated with fleas. Even one flea is enough if there is a flea allergy and the skin could be sore and irritated?

Is small possibility this could also be behavioural? Touching the tail particularly is not always tolerated by dogs? but the fact the injection and pills worked for some time is more likely to indicate pain. Do you know what the injection/pills were?

I really really think you need to go back to one of the vets you previously saw. Vets will always offer the cheapest, simplest and less invasive treatments first but want/expect you to come back if they fail so they can look into it further. But something that painful so young NEEDS to be x-rayed before any form of chiro work is done, IMO.

Hi

Thanks guys sorry i could not get back sooner,i took little micky for an x-ray & the vet

told me there was nothing wrong with his spine so a friend of mine in melbourne

told me about john martin in wagga so i took micky over to him much to my

amazement he was a lot happier after he manipulated him, he said there was a lot of

muscle spasm this is the first time i have seen this done, little micky is enjoying himself

no end running around our backyard also thank you anita is your puppy just as happy

i would recomend john to anyone