Inguinal Hernias Very Young Pup

lolabo

I have 2 young pups aged 4 weeks with inguinal hernias both just on one side and reducible .Vet says these may go away by themselves but if not surgery needed when they get to around 6 months.Never had this before in 20 years of breeding.Neither parent has a problem and both have been screened and bred before with no problems

What are other experiences please,did they go? Can anyone recommend a good vet around Brisbane who deal with inguinal hernias in young pups?

I can't recommend anyone as I'm not in Brisbane, but agree that you need to act early. My only experience is rescuing an elderly tiny little L/H chi several years ago and she had inguinal hernias on both sides - one the size of tennis ball :cry: She was too old and hernias to big to do anything about, but she didn't seem to be inconvienced by them. The fear was always that organs would become twisted.

Good luck.

ETA: Anvet at Kedron Park always gets rave reviews.

If they are reasonably small and reducible and they are monitored regularly then what your vet has suggested is fine. They are reasonably simply repaired at the same time as a desex via a separate incision. Any sign of pain, discomfort or distension etc and they may need to be dealt with earlier.