Junior Handler State Final

The main tip is selecting the right dog for the day ,im not talking about a robot but a dog that is happy to stand in a line for a long period of time,can do all exercises required for the age bracket & making sure you listen & can do the exercises required .

Alot will also depend on the level of skill said child has ,

Parents shouldn't place any pressure about the day ,its just another handlers comp in the end & if the child is happy with there dog selection then the rest is just down to team work & what the judge is looking for which is what is in the rule book .

• 5 weeks later...

The main tip is selecting the right dog for the day ,im not talking about a robot but a dog that is happy to stand in a line for a long period of time,can do all exercises required for the age bracket & making sure you listen & can do the exercises required .

Alot will also depend on the level of skill said child has ,

Parents shouldn't place any pressure about the day ,its just another handlers comp in the end & if the child is happy with there dog selection then the rest is just down to team work & what the judge is looking for which is what is in the rule book .

Agreed - I would also say that the dog needs to have some animation. Nothing worse than a dog just going through the motions like a sad sack.

The best handler teams I have seen are handlers that have a genuine connection with their dogs, this doesn't mean they've known and worked with them for months as some just have the knack but there is a definite connection between handler and dog. Some of my favourite handlers to watch have this with their dogs, and the dogs just perform for them every time.