I have a new dog that was a rescue. I've had him for 6 months. He is 2 years old. A Pomeranian mix poodle.
He is friendly and fairly good. But there are a couple of issues.
1. He used to bark at the vacuum cleaner and try to eat it. I've got him used to that now. He just watches it. Doesn't even bark at it any more.
2. He still barks and tries to chases the lawn mower and grass clipper, so i have to put him inside when doing theses things.
3. He absolutely hates motorcycles and skate boards. Barks and tries the chase. A bit of problem on walks if they come along. He sort gets taken over by the desire to chase them and that's hard to get him to control the urge.
4. Separation anxiety is getting better. Just tries to go with me when leaving the house by trying to slip through the door. Whines for about a minute. then is silent. No barking through the day. Just appears to sleep I think.No destruction issues at all when out. I'm getting him used to a place of "bed" for the day so he knows to lie there when I'm leaving the house. He has a "toddler enclosure space" I use some days and seems happy to be there when I'm out, other times he has the sofa and lounge area.
5. Barks a bit at cats or dogs that pass the house. Loves to play with any dog. Barks at noised of people passing the house.
6. He just goes ballistic if he smells a cat outside. There are cats on both sides. I'm trying to get him to react in "calm way to the "cat smell"(of course I cant smell it so I don't know when its coming). Im trying to calm him and get him to lie down and just stay calm when this happens.
Any advice would be appreciated. Is this a case for a dog trainer or dog psychologist? Any recommendations?