Flower Power: How To Stop Puppy Eating Them!

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is some magic way to stop our Puppy from eating the flowers out the back, we only have 2 pots out the back. We kind of expected it would happen, and know there is probably nothing we can really do to stop it.

So if you have any advice or good training tips, would be great to know!

Thanks,

Adam.

Hey Adam

There is not a lot that can be done but seriously try caynne (sorry bad spelling) pepper I have read this on one of the threads! Benson ate my chilli plant my thyme and basil :banghead:

Susan & Benson

Thanks Susan,

I know that there is a spray or something out there as well, but I don't want to be spraying chemicals out the backyard, with her out there. The canynne pepper might be a good option as its only a natural powder.

I don't think it will stop her though, she officially starting digging today, ripping grass and then dug a small hole, the FUN begins :p

Adam.

Are you able to block them off? I've put a little fence, about 1m tall around the herbs, it was fairly easy though as the herb garden is up at the fence line. Its stopped the terror getting in there. We also did it for my first golden when I was still living at home, had mesh fencing all around the edges of the garden out the back so she couldn't get there, and fenced off completely an area where mum had grown a type of fernary (spelling) thing. It was only a small area, the clothes line was in the area as well so stopped Sascha pulling the clothes off the line as well. She still had ample room to play. As for the Pot plants, mum has given me some of hers to mind while she goes overseas... I moved them out the front as I knew Phoenix would destroy them.

My lad is only let loose in the garden under supervision so, from day one, I introduced a 'Leave It' command, followed by plenty of praise and games when he stopped chomping or digging. That said, my kangaroo paws stopped flowering very early this year (actually just disappeared!) :p and he has a real penchant for the climbing beans. Anything I was really wanting to protect was simply moved. Oh, and watch the wild mushrooms...I clear the garden of them at least once a day and he still manages to sniff them out!

Yes - sometimes removing the item in question is the only way :banghead:

Having said that, everytime a walk him he tries to eat the flowers in the park/peoples front yard. Sometimes a "Leave It" command works, but it has to be perfectly timed - I tend to spend our walks scanning the area ahead for things he may find tasty to eat :p

Jonty has is own area outside which has no plants, but did have some grass.... he has done some excavating, but we bury his poos in the holes. He doesn't like his own poos. This helps deter him for awhile, but then we have to "re-fresh" them!!! OH spends most Sat mornings tidying up Jontys outdoor area for him to destroy during the week!!! Funnily enough, he hasn't eaten the retic yet (I thought that would be the first to go), but has a thing for the plastic drain covers...

Best way to stop a puppy eating the flowers in your pots, is to pick up the pots and move them to a higher place.. hanging garden perhaps? :D

Exactly what we did this morning. I just wanted to know other people's experiences with it.

;)

Thanks!

:wave: I used to have plants in my backyard, not anymore though :D :love:

There is a product called "Get off my Garden", (i think that's what it's called :) ) Hmm, i'll do a quick google search :D

eta- awww, just did a search, it's a deterrent for "peeing" not chewing.. darn that! ...

Edited by Luv my White Shepherd

Ooooh, ooooh.. Just found some products that might help so your backyard does not have to go 'plantless' :wave:

STOP Repellent & Bitter Bite .. The repellent can be sprayed around and on the pot, and the bitter bite can go on the pot and the plant ;)

Here is the linky - Dog Products

My dog has been doing this to but diggingg the plant out of the ground, only one type of plant must be something special about it, and Jumps up and pulls the passionfruit of the vines. she knows not to do it but everyday she goes and does it driving me crazy

My dog has been doing this to but diggingg the plant out of the ground, only one type of plant must be something special about it, and Jumps up and pulls the passionfruit of the vines. she knows not to do it but everyday she goes and does it driving me crazy

hehe, ;) My girl Tia has a penchant for palms!