I Can't Survive On No Sleep And Lattes

Rhi*Jak*Ed

What really helped my lad get into a routine was giving him a puppy Kong with a few of his normal biscuits (out of his ration...no fat puppies here!) in it every single time he went to bed, plus using a command.....I use 'Bye Byes'. He now rushes to hop into his crate every time I go to fill his Kong. It gives him something to help him relax and associates something positive with being left alone. When he was very little, he would fall asleep straight away and would eat the biscuits when he woke up, then settle back down for another snooze. He goes to bed at 7pm every night (except training night) and I wake him up at around 10.30pm for final 'Quick, Quicks!'. Last thing he gets is another small puppy Kong plus a huge raw chicken neck. He just loves going to bed now! Plus....my suggestion is that when your puppy is old enough, train them to get up when you are ready.....some days I get my boy up at 5am before I go to Uni (that nearly kills both of us :hug: ), other days 6am and the odd day off I get, he will sleep straight through until 9am or 10am. It's wonderful!!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhi sounds like you are doing the right things - but as you said have just skewed the system by moving her....

put her crate in the bathroom/lounge/kitchen (whereever you would like her to sleep when she is trained) and it should be fine :mad also cover crate with a blanket as said above too it does a lot. you can also send pup to bed with a chew/bone to keep them occupied should they wake up.

Also not sure if youve read much about crate training - but dont only put here in their when your leaving/going to bed. she wil associate it with being left alone. Give her her dinner in it and occassional time outs during the time your home. (they only need to be short) :hug:

Thanks Akitaowner... I haven't tried covering her crate with a blanket so I will definitely do that tonight. She usually has a couple of things in her crate with her should she wake up, her favourite teddy, usually her pigs' ear and a chew toy.

I feed her in the crate and also utilise it for time outs. I was using the toilet (I have a very small house) but she would just scratch the crap out of the door and when you're renting as I am, this can be disastrous. Now I find that she calms down fairly well in her crate and I only let her out once she has done so. If she continues the same behaviour then she goes straight back in there until she's fully "over it".

I'm just going to have to start again I think. I feel sorry for the neighbours already.

I feed her in the crate and also utilise it for time outs. I was using the toilet (I have a very small house) but she would just scratch the crap out of the door and when you're renting as I am, this can be disastrous. Now I find that she calms down fairly well in her crate and I only let her out once she has done so. If she continues the same behaviour then she goes straight back in there until she's fully "over it".

Maybe she wont settle in the crate if you are using it for time outs.

I would try another spot for time outs as you are wanting her to associate the crate with something good (eg, giving her treats and wanting her to go to bed etc) but I am assuming you use time outs if she is being too silly or naughty ??

This is IMO but she may settle in the crate either way.

Maybe she wont settle in the crate if you are using it for time outs.

I would try another spot for time outs as you are wanting her to associate the crate with something good (eg, giving her treats and wanting her to go to bed etc) but I am assuming you use time outs if she is being too silly or naughty ??

This is IMO but she may settle in the crate either way.

I've read such differing opinions on this actually. Some say don't use it, others say do use it. It all gets quite confusing haha. She doesn't seem to have trouble settling down in the crate, it's just staying settled of a night time that she seems to have an issue with.

I will be putting a blanket over it tonight and using the trusty ear plugs for sure!

I've read such differing opinions on this actually. Some say don't use it, others say do use it. It all gets quite confusing haha. She doesn't seem to have trouble settling down in the crate, it's just staying settled of a night time that she seems to have an issue with.

I will be putting a blanket over it tonight and using the trusty ear plugs for sure!

I know, it all gets a bit too much sometimes ;) Just try the different suggestions and see what works for you. Every dog is different, cheers and good luck :D

I know, it all gets a bit too much sometimes ;) Just try the different suggestions and see what works for you. Every dog is different, cheers and good luck :D

Thanks BC Lover... She is in her crate now, blanket over it and not a peep out of her. This is not unusual though so I'm not getting my hopes up.... yet!

I'll let you know tomorrow how things go overnight. Fingers crossed I get some sleep, I so desperately need it!

I can well understand your confusion as there is a multitude of advice and theories out there! The most important thing to remember is to BE CONSISTENT! So...if you want the crate to be a positive place for puppy to retreat to...always make it a positive experience. If it is sometimes positive and sometimes a 'punishment' puppy will get confused and will have trouble settling.

I successfully trained a cat to not meow and carry on at 6am every morning. We were babysitting cat and dog and am not a "morning person". Ignoring worked brilliantly- there's no way I was going to get out of bed and bring the cat into a room with an allergic OH. Owners wanted to know how I'd cured her :) . Is much easier when you're not emotionally attached, too.

It's funny how that happens isn't it? :D One of the cats has my dad trained to let her out at 4.30am ;) I certainly wouldn't be doing that. :love:

Morning everyone,

Well guess what? I got some sleep! YAY for Rhi! haha. Jak slept through until 4.30 whereupon I took her to toilet, she did and I put her back in her crate. She then awoke at 6.00 and same thing again, except she didn't need to pee but I put her back in her crate anyway because I didn't want to get up until 6.30!.

Well we're up now and I feel that I can just grab a normal latte this morning, not double shot ;-)

Thanks heaps to everyone - I will keep you updated because I'm pretty sure tonight just may well be different. At least today I won't be falling asleep in my office.

Rhi

Morning everyone,

Well guess what? I got some sleep! YAY for Rhi! haha. Jak slept through until 4.30 whereupon I took her to toilet, she did and I put her back in her crate. She then awoke at 6.00 and same thing again, except she didn't need to pee but I put her back in her crate anyway because I didn't want to get up until 6.30!.

Well we're up now and I feel that I can just grab a normal latte this morning, not double shot ;-)

Thanks heaps to everyone - I will keep you updated because I'm pretty sure tonight just may well be different. At least today I won't be falling asleep in my office.

Rhi

:mad:cry::mad:mad

She's done it once now, she'll keep doing it! project possitive vibes :D

congrats!

I just wanted to add that my 9week old pup slept in his crate last night for the first time without crying.

yesterday i got a small ticking clock and a soft hand puppet thing from the reject shop. Shoved the clock in the puppet and sewed it up. He zonked right out.

best $5 i ever spent!

To the other poster’s that got there puppy to sleep that so great :rofl:

I have unfortunately put her back in my room in her bed on the floor she slept straight through only waking to take her self to the toilet

Unfortunately the crate thing had had the worse effect she cried all night for 2 nights and is now totally freaking out when I go out side or close the door or if she is alone at all (except in my room which does not seem to upset her) absolutely crying the house down and shaking she’s never done this before

O well she is quiet and at least we can sleep I know others in this thread will think I’m doing the wrong thing but I have always let my children sleep in my room if they were afraid and I guess I’m doing the same thing with my dog as long as both the kids and the dog sleep and are quiet they can stay :(

Edited by Falling_dawn

From what you have said you haven't actually crate trained your puppy, you've just put the dog in there and hoped all would go well.

Start crate 'training' your puppy, make he crate a desireable place to be so that when the puppy wakes up it's not confused/upset.

Write down what toilet stops actually resulted in her toileting so you get used to her schedule. When you do the toilet runs, simply give her the toilet command, don't chat with her or play with her or cuddle her....you're out in the yard for a reason.

Place a hot water bottle (not too hot of course) in the crate, as well as a treat when she first goes in. My boy also has a crate toy which goes in with him.

Make sure you tire your puppy out before bed. That means a hour before bed, have a good play and stop 15 minutes prior to going to bed. Do a toilet run before putting her in her crate as well.

Dante did 3 wake ups in the first 2 days and would scream the place down, we expected this though....away from his mum, away from his litter and in a different environment. We're now on night 6 and he can sometimes sleep through the night but usually will wake up once and cry to go to the toilet. We make sure he's tired when he goes to bed and then we don't have an issue with him making noise.

We also have a blanket that covers half the crate, our bedroom gets warm in the night, that's the only reason the crate isn't fully covered.

Edited by sas

From what you have said you haven't actually crate trained your puppy, you've just put the dog in there and hoped all would go well.

Start crate 'training' your puppy, make he crate a desireable place to be so that when the puppy wakes up it's not confused/upset.

Write down what toilet stops actually resulted in her toileting so you get used to her schedule. When you do the toilet runs, simply give her the toilet command, don't chat with her or play with her or cuddle her....you're out in the yard for a reason.

Place a hot water bottle (not too hot of course) in the crate, as well as a treat when she first goes in. My boy also has a crate toy which goes in with him.

Make sure you tire your puppy out before bed. That means a hour before bed, have a good play and stop 15 minutes prior to going to bed. Do a toilet run before putting her in her crate as well.

Dante did 3 wake ups in the first 2 days and would scream the place down, we expected this though....away from his mum, away from his litter and in a different environment. We're now on night 6 and he can sometimes sleep through the night but usually will wake up once and cry to go to the toilet. We make sure he's tired when he goes to bed and then we don't have an issue with him making noise.

We also have a blanket that covers half the crate, our bedroom gets warm in the night, that's the only reason the crate isn't fully covered.

I'm not sure which person you're offering advice to... Jak gets fed in her crate, she goes in there when she's tired during the day to lay down, but it is also used of a night time for her to sleep in and also as a time out venue. She comes out again once she's calmed down and at no time has acted so distressed that I've felt she is scared of her crate or that she absolutely hates being in there.

I'm pretty sure my last post mentioned that she slept through from 9pm until 5am. Which toilet stop should I be writing down? The one at 5am when she wakes up?

She has her pigs' ear with her when she first goes in to bed, but she doesn't really pay it any attention considering we've actually just played a half an hour game of fetch before she goes to bed. She's pretty tired then from running up and down the hallway 50 odd times...

Since I've put the blanket over her crate she's slept in there quite well (again as mentioned in my last post).

I can assure you that I don't just put Jak in her crate and hope for the best. If I did, I doubt that I would have requested advice in the first place because the care factor would be pretty low then, wouldn't it?

Jak slept last night from 9pm til 5am this morning. WOOHOO! Mind you, I'm still having the lattes, I think I've gotten used to them haha.

Now I just need to work on her other behaviours ;-) Hmm.

:):mad:mad

Well done!!! I bet that sleep was wonderful. :)

I'm not sure which person you're offering advice to... Jak gets fed in her crate, she goes in there when she's tired during the day to lay down, but it is also used of a night time for her to sleep in and also as a time out venue. She comes out again once she's calmed down and at no time has acted so distressed that I've felt she is scared of her crate or that she absolutely hates being in there.

I'm pretty sure my last post mentioned that she slept through from 9pm until 5am. Which toilet stop should I be writing down? The one at 5am when she wakes up?

She has her pigs' ear with her when she first goes in to bed, but she doesn't really pay it any attention considering we've actually just played a half an hour game of fetch before she goes to bed. She's pretty tired then from running up and down the hallway 50 odd times...

Since I've put the blanket over her crate she's slept in there quite well (again as mentioned in my last post).

I can assure you that I don't just put Jak in her crate and hope for the best. If I did, I doubt that I would have requested advice in the first place because the care factor would be pretty low then, wouldn't it?

If the advice is for me Im not going to crate train I find that this is not the way to go with me or Lucy but thank you for your advice if in the future we do go with the crate I will refer to it But good on you Rai It sounds like it worked great for you and im so glad you had a good night sleep a happy owner means a happy puppy :mad