I Can't Survive On No Sleep And Lattes

Rhi*Jak*Ed

Jak slept last night from 9pm til 5am this morning. WOOHOO! Mind you, I'm still having the lattes, I think I've gotten used to them haha.

Now I just need to work on her other behaviours ;-) Hmm.

:):mad:mad

Well done!!! I bet that sleep was wonderful. :)

It was. However, it now appears that she is "sleeping" through because it's possibly she's just peeing in there. Hmm. Her blanket reaks of urine. I may now have to look at reducing the area inside the crate. Gee if it's not one thing... haha.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well she obviously can't hold on for that long at night, reducing her crate size will probably only make her upset once she's peed in there and has to lie in it.

It's great that she's sleeping through but 8 hrs is probably too long for a small breed pup. Get up and take her out at 11.30 if you usually go to bed at 9pm.

Mel.

I'm a bit like Dawn.

Every intention of being consistent but have adapted to this particular pup, & it has worked well for us.

I thought that my Mastiff X would welcome the new pup, & that she would just snuggle up with him. Just as my GSD did for him .. as I sternly pointed out to him. NO WAY .. he was petrified of this small furry bundle.

The first night she cried. The 2nd & 3rd night, I slept on a bed in the dog room with her. Didn't allow her up on the bed, didn't do anything except take her out for "Hurry Ups".

The 4th night, I was completely buggered & went for a little lie-down at 8pm in my bedroom. Woke up at 6 the next morning. :(

OK, we had puddles but .. this is what I found when I went in ...

post-3489-1179860043_thumb.jpg

Since then, she's slept happily alone .. & I wake her up for "HurryUps" once a night.

She is a very very confident, relaxed pup .. & I'm not trying to say that it's good advice in general .. actually I'm not trying to advise at all .. just saying what's worked for us.

Rhi sounds like you are doing the right things - but as you said have just skewed the system by moving her....

put her crate in the bathroom/lounge/kitchen (whereever you would like her to sleep when she is trained) and it should be fine :) also cover crate with a blanket as said above too it does a lot. you can also send pup to bed with a chew/bone to keep them occupied should they wake up.

Also not sure if youve read much about crate training - but dont only put here in their when your leaving/going to bed. she wil associate it with being left alone. Give her her dinner in it and occassional time outs during the time your home. (they only need to be short) :)

Thanks Akitaowner... I haven't tried covering her crate with a blanket so I will definitely do that tonight. She usually has a couple of things in her crate with her should she wake up, her favourite teddy, usually her pigs' ear and a chew toy.

I feed her in the crate and also utilise it for time outs. I was using the toilet (I have a very small house) but she would just scratch the crap out of the door and when you're renting as I am, this can be disastrous. Now I find that she calms down fairly well in her crate and I only let her out once she has done so. If she continues the same behaviour then she goes straight back in there until she's fully "over it".

I'm just going to have to start again I think. I feel sorry for the neighbours already.

I'm not sure that is a good idea, the crate should be a positive place to be, not used for punishment. That's just my opinion though.

Havent read all 4 pages...

But my advice is...

put her in bed with you :thumbsup:

I now have 4 Pomeranians & 3 Italian Greyhound's & 2 German Shepherds sleeping on/in my bed. They all love it.

They all just love to be with me. I admit, its a race to the bed at night to claim a spot, but once we are all in, NO one wakes until morning, and we all sleep sound. The Sheppies usually hop off and move to the lounge half way through the night, or on a mattress beside my bed.. But the littlies dont budge.

Havent read all 4 pages...

But my advice is...

put her in bed with you :thumbsup:

I now have 4 Pomeranians & 3 Italian Greyhound's & 2 German Shepherds sleeping on/in my bed. They all love it.

They all just love to be with me. I admit, its a race to the bed at night to claim a spot, but once we are all in, NO one wakes until morning, and we all sleep sound. The Sheppies usually hop off and move to the lounge half way through the night, or on a mattress beside my bed.. But the littlies dont budge.

I've tried that before but she would wake up, go to the end of the bed, pee, then come and crawl back next to me. Sadly that didn't work for us...

She is now sleeping for about 4 hours, waking up to pee so I take her out, and then she sleeps through until about 6 which is pretty good. I think we've got it down pat now :-)

Roxiekda this is what I did with Bruno too! I had every good intention of training him to sleep in his own bed when I first got him at 9 weeks, but as I live alone, and got sick of hearing him crying all night every night for two straight weeks, I gave in and put him into bed with me. Now he sleeps like a rock all night! He even puts himself to bed at 8.30 each night. When the alarm goes off in the morning he gives me a filthy look until I hit snooze and then he hits the pillow again! He's so good to share a bed with, I know this isn't everyone's ideal situation, but it works a treat for me!

That's awesome Rhi!!! I'm glad you made progress.

Tonight is night two for my puppy and me. I have made the decision to have Gaetana in my room to sleep as I have cats and they have the bathroom (laundry has no door) and I dont' trust them all together yet. Last night she cried like it was the end of the world for about fifteen minutes. Then she went into a fit of plaintive mewls for five, then gave up when she realised I wasn't getting out of bed to come to her.

You should have seen me laying in my bed! I was stiff as a board trying not to move so she would think I was asleep and stop. She slept right through till six and only started up when my darling OH rolled over and started snoring. :love:

Tonight, I got smart and put her to bed half an hour early. She only cried for two minutes!!! Now, I just have to make it into the room and into bed in the complete dark, without waking her up. Wish me luck!

:p