Gingevitis

My 11-year-old dog is no longer able to digest fresh bones or similar, such as pigs trotters or smoked roo necks. We have days of discomfort, diarrhoea, rumbling tummies, it's all very unpleasant. Unfortunately, he now has a bit of gingevitis. I've given him Nylabones, including the corn cob style ones, which he's interested in for the first chew but not after that. At $15-28 a pop, though, for him to chow down once and then lose interest is getting a bit prohibitive. Any suggestions as to what he could chew to help keep his teeth and gums healthy that won't cause yet another visit to the vet? He's not able to have chicken, beef or lamb. I've tried to get turkey necks but without luck.

Edited by Sheridan

Cadence couldn't have bones from the age of 18 months because he had pancreatitis and there was too much fat for him so I would regularly lie him down between my knees with his head cradled comfortably and scale his teeth using a dentists scaler.....he used to doze off through it :kissbetter: Tried it with Tango the other day just to see how he'd react and got the same..1 very relaxed dog...

Much cheaper than Nylabones!

You probably already know about the possible problems with greenies, but here's an article about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/

I also think they are fairly high in fat, if you look at the ingredient list, so that wouldn't help his digestion at all.

I had thought about dehydrating lean meat to make it much harder and chewier - but if he can't have chicken, beef or lamb, you are really limited, aren't you?

The turkey necks are fabulous - but the only time I've managed to get them is before Christmas. If you do find a supplier I would love to know.

I hope someone has some better ideas - I think this must be a common problem for people with older dogs, so it would be great to get some info.

One of my dogs went through a few years of not being to have bones (but is successfully back on them now).

I used to brush his teeth 2 - 3 times a week. I tried with a finger brush, but found it hard to fit in his mouth. So I bought a childs electric toothbrush and used that. He got used to the noise and movement after a session a day for a week, then never made any fuss about it. I always used dog toothpaste.

It doesn't do as good a job as bones, but keep his teeth in pretty good condition.

ETA: I tried a whole lot of things before resorting to brushing. I found dentabones etc just got bitten into chunks and swollowed. I don't think they did anything for his teeth at all.

Edited by Dogs4Fun

There a few things to think about.

Firstly, can you do anything to help strenthen the digestive system (pre and probiotics) and other organs that may be reacting to some component in the food. Consult your vet (preferably holistic) or animal naturapath to discuss working on this issue first.

You mention that he can't have chicken, beef, or lamb (why not?), have you tried other things like whole fish, whole hard vegies (eg carrot), you mention turkey (try turkey frames). Some of the dry dog foods have been designed to clean teeth a little bit, but nothing works as good as raw bones.

There are also various items that are designed to help clean the teeth if chewed - eg Kong has one with grooves in it that you could smear some food into cracks and inside it to promote chewing of it.

Otherwise if your unable to find something that works there are many more vet now that will do dental work. Try what others have said first about doing it yourself.

At 11 years of age, I suspect he might need his teeth done at the vet :rofl: .

My MIL had this same prob with her older dog unable to eat bones. By the time she'd messed about with toothbrushing, antibiotics, unused chew toys etc., the dog also had to have extractions done at the vet. In the meantime she'd wasted money on all that other stuff which only delayed the inevitable and the poor dog had to endure the pain of bad teeth for many months :( .

The chew toys might not be interesting because he's a bit too sore to use them? Hard to say without a look at his teeth.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect turkey frames will be as hard to get as turkey necks, although I did find an organic supplier in NSW and intend on giving them a ring to see if they'll do an order. Thus far it's just a bit of gingevitis rather than anything worse and obviously I want to head it off before it gets worse! The vet took a look at his teeth and they're in very good shape for an 11 year old.

NaturallyWild, the vet and I decided on no beef, chicken or lamb due to possible IBD. Testing a food intolerance by changing his protein source was better than a biopsy, although I'd have had to head down this road if he hadn't tolerated the turkey.

NaturallyWild, the vet and I decided on no beef, chicken or lamb due to possible IBD. Testing a food intolerance by changing his protein source was better than a biopsy, although I'd have had to head down this road if he hadn't tolerated the turkey.

If IBD is suspected i would defintely be looking down the lines of pre and probiotics and other herbs &/or homeopathics to deal with why there is a problem with the digestive system rather than just avoiding the foods that cause a problem. Absolutely avoid the stuff that causes issues now, but i would be aiming to be able to bring them slowly back in after strengthening the system first. Sometimes the cause can be related to immunisations, worming and other medications, so it can be difficult task.

I've always been able to find turkey frames etc at various butchers, particularly those that deal with chicken - just ask around, if they don't have it, do they know someone who does. Very different matter if your looking for organic though. Can you ask the supermarket where they get their turkey from as you are after the frames.

Edited by NaturallyWild

After Kal swallowed the knuckle end off a marrow bone and had to endure 3 surgical operations (complications set in) .................. and then did it again with another bone (this time we managed to get it up via the osophegus), I couldn't feed Kal bones as I had done in all the years prior.

So teeth care comprised of :-

Brushing her teeth using one of those rubber finger type thingies and special doggy toothpaste.

Once a week she had a very large marrow bone but I had the butcher cut the ends off so she was only left with the shaft. Initially I would only feed these if I could also sit out with her and watch. But eventually I was comfortable enough to allow her to spend time gnawing on the bone - although I'd be popping out to check periodically.

The bone was thrown away by the end of each day, if not sooner.

ETA: I used to brush her teeth about 4 - 5 times a week if gingivitis was flairing - on some days, twice a day. This seemed to help a lot. Otherwise, about 3 times a week, once a day.

Edited by Erny

Oops, sorry. After having read BL's post, I re-read the OP and realise it's the MEAT that is causing the problems. I read it as the BONE itself not being able to be digested. Should have read more carefully - sorry.

Here is a link to an article that may help: Gastric Problems

It is written by a very knowledgeable lady I know who has a dog with IBD. You may find something in there to help work out an appropriate diet for your dog.

I also recommend looking at some of the other articles in her "Newsletter Directory" (click on the small print in the far left column) in particular the one on immune system support.

Oops, sorry. After having read BL's post, I re-read the OP and realise it's the MEAT that is causing the problems. I read it as the BONE itself not being able to be digested. Should have read more carefully - sorry.

It's actually both, Erny. He can't digest the bones and he's not allowed to have beef, lamb or chicken.

I tried him on a pig's trotter today. We'll see how he goes. Probably too salty and greasy but worth a shot.