Dry Shampoo - Are They Any Good?

Someone suggested a dry shampoo to me today - Darcy's a bit too "doggy" at the moment, and even though I use Aloveen I'd rather try and avoid bathing her too often. She has a bit of an itchy tendency unfortunately.

I had a quick look in the local pet direct store and honestly I didn't like the look of the two they had for sale... I think I'd rather she stay smelling a bit doggy :love:

Just wondering if there was any particular brand that was good, or whether I'm just better off going with the Aloveen :p

I use powder (just standard variety people talcum powder, I like Imperial Leather personally!), dust it over the dogs outside, brush it through and then wipe them over with a damp towel. It seems to remove some of the dirt from their coat and makes them smell really nice :p Cheap too!

Oh, just saw about her itches - not sure how it would go, might have to be careful not to get it down to her skin? Just a quick dust and wipe maybe.

I always used Talcum too until I read the research done on babies inhaling Talc....

Baby Wet wipes around the face, ears and underneath helps to keep the smell down between baths. Washing their collars at bath time helps too.

You could try hot towelling the dog, we do this instead of bathing before a show

get a towel and run hot water on it, then squeeze out as much water as possible and place over the dogs back - we also rub the coat up the wrong way.

I then use a yummy smelling grooming spray and brush that through the coat.

• 3 weeks later...

Try this: Sprinkle your dog liberally with baking soda. Let it sit for a few minutes (as long as you can keep your dog still is probably long enough) and then brush out the baking soda thoroughly. This is safe for your dog’s skin, but don’t let your dog lick at it; they can not digest large quantities of baking soda.

This will remove excess oil from your dog’s coat, without stripping it the way shampoos and soaps can. It will also reduce dog odour.

Baking soda is an excellent deoderant for many pet odours; housetraining accidents, spraying cats, and generally for the cleaning up of all smelly things that come out of/in with pets