Taking Food From The Hand

As you guys were so good with coming up with a way to teach my 'blonde' dog how to catch food I thought I would see if you can solve another of her issues.

The same dog won't take a dog biscuit from my hand no matter what I do - she will take liver treats, chicken pieces, etc. but when it comes to a dog biscuit no way - I have to put it down in front of her and she will then pick it up and eat it!!

Any ideas on what her mind is thinking and how to get her to take a biscuit from my hand??

If I was a dog I would prefer liver treats and cooked chicken.

In what context are you using food as rewards? If indeed this is when you offer - different - foods?.

I would stick, to a favourite.

I am off to read your other thread.

I have a routine which all my dogs love and live by.

That is, before they are kennelled overnight they get their 1/2 dog biscuit, which they all love and eat readily in their beds including the 'blonde' one.

They also get 1/2 a dog biscuit when they get up in the mornings and take themselves to their exercise yards.

Everyone takes the dog biscuit from my hand eagerly - except the 'blonde' one - who has to have it placed in front of her, then she picks it up and eats it straight away.

For other times I reward with liver or chicken which she will take from my hand.

Do you think it is just because she doesn't like biscuits as much as liver???

Or is it more sinister that she has a phobia about dog biscuits??? :worship:

Edited by SALTWOOD

It is interesting that there are no probs in taking liver treats from you, but that there is when it comes to dog biscuits. Perhaps the liver treats etc. are more highly prized?

In any event, try this as an experiment. Have the dog biscuit and offer it to her - but don't look directly at her (in fact, semi turn your face and body away from her). See if she is more likely to take it then.

Oh - and hold it loosely. Don't make it difficult for her to take from you. Even if she hasn't gripped it properly and it falls to the ground first as a result of her semi-gripping it, it is a start.

Edited by Erny

Yes Erny I think you might be on the right track with that approach - I will try it tonight.

Perhaps it is a hangover from something learnt in puppyhood - some threatening occurence that has been retained in her memory banks??? :)

I didn't breed this dog but bought her in and she has never taken 'biscuits' or 'piggy ears' from my hand - doesn't take big edible things as opposed to small things like liver treats, etc.

Will give it a go! :D

Edited by SALTWOOD

Tried Ernys method last night with very limited response from dog.

Bent down with back to dog and biscuit offered on palm of hand backwards (not easy to do in the dark)

Dog nuzzled biscuit but didnt take it.

Eventually I got enough of a nuzzle to knock the biscuit off my hand and she ate it.

Weird isn't it???

Don't know if repetition will make any difference or improve the situation.

Bent down with back to dog and biscuit offered on palm of hand backwards (not easy to do in the dark)

Dog nuzzled biscuit but didnt take it.

Eventually I got enough of a nuzzle to knock the biscuit off my hand and she ate it.

Break it down a bit further ..... lower your hand so that it is resting on the ground, palm up with biscuit in the flat of your hand. All other things the same as above. See if she takes it a bit easier from that position. If that makes no difference, keep going with what you did above. Give it time ...... and patience before you decide it is making no difference.

Mind you, if it were me I don't know that I'd worry too much that I had to drop the biscuit on the ground given she takes other tastier treats (which I'd use for training) from me no worries.

But for experimental sake, it will be interesting to see if things change using the above over time. :happydance:

I know what you are saying about the biscuit and I will continue along the lines you have outlined but the thing is that it extends to everything that is larger than a liver treat.

She won't take chicken necks from the hand or fork (yuck).

She won't take piggy ears which all the others just can't wait for and grab with glee from my hand.

She won't take a meaty bone ..... etc. etc.

So you see, and so do I from reading my own posts that she does have some sort of issue..... I wonder what and why?? :happydance:

Where do I start??

She is not an overly fearful dog in other ways..... I need a dog psychologist I think!! :cooldance:

You could try giving a 'jackpot' of the smaller treats she'll happily take from your hand and without changing your demeanour or your method of delivery, pop in a (eg) 1/2 chicken neck ....... whilst she's in the "stop thinking, just open mouth and take from hand" mode. Then revert back to smaller treats. Then pop in a slightly bigger piece of chicken neck. Repeat until you can give a whole chicken neck. :) You don't have to do this all in one session - I expect she'll get rather full.

With every delivery of each treat, give a verbal reward marker as well (by way of encouragement). Use appropriate tone of voice.

Having said this, I still am not entirely sure of the overall problem this causes you. But obviously it is something you'd like to change, or you wouldn't have posted here. :scold:

ETA: You can still work on the previous method. Patience, if you want to overcome the 'problem'.

Edited by Erny

Yes it goes under the heading of 'mildly annoying' because it is so different from my other dogs behaviours and it fascinates me as to how it started and how it can be modified.

I like your thinking Erny and problem solving and will definitely set up the situation you described and give it a try just to see what happens.

I tried the hand on the ground technique you outlined and it was funny - she actually gave a little bark and play growl because I was doing something different by virtually making her take the biscuit a different way. She took it in the end from my hand on the ground - yeah!!!!! It's like as though she wants things on her terms, not mine. A battle of wills - or am I reading too much into this?? :scold:

It is not earthshattering stuff but really fun to see how their minds work! :)

A battle of wills - or am I reading too much into this?? :o

I don't think it is a battle of wills, Saltwood.

Is this dog a rescue? Sorry - if you've mentioned this in earlier posts, I've forgotten.

If she is a rescue, her behaviour could relate to how she was brought up as a pup. Perhaps she got in trouble for snatching food and perhaps it was with the larger type of food (eg. bones etc.). So I suspect her bark and play growl is due to some frustration/confusion/puzzlement at the change of 'rules' that she has been previously conditioned to. Possibly a "hey, I'm doing things as I was previously taught but not receiving the reward ...... what is it that I'm supposed to do to get it - but I don't want to stuff it up and not get my reward, or get into trouble ... "

If you've had her since a pup, then I guess we'd need to look to you to give us the history of how you've hand fed her from the very beginning. But if that was the case, I expect reflection would provide you your own answer.

Either way, it sounds as though a step in the direction you want has been made. Give her time. Give her a chance to work things out in her own mind. This is where the 'patience' comes into it.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for that explanation Erny - I will reflect!!! :rolleyes:

ETA: Not a rescue - had her since she was about 12 weeks old - she came with this behaviour.

Edited by SALTWOOD