Balls For Flyball

You will find the majority of people use regular tennis balls.

Because the dogs only get to play with them once a week (or less), they dont do that much damage IMO

I know of one team that uses a rubber type of ball but not sure what exactly they are or where to get them from.

ETA: If your dog is a chewer/chomper on the tennis balls look into getting different balls just to be safe but if not and you dont have tennis balls laying around the house i wouldnt worry. One of mine has been doing flyball for 4 years all up including training and his teeth are 100% perfect.

Edited by tollersowned

from the AFA rules

Section 3.2 – Balls

Each team shall have its own supply of unpunctured, regulation tennis balls (any colour).

Subject to the size and comfort of the dog, squash balls, racket balls, or approved balls

may be used. Approved balls must function similar to a tennis ball (i.e. they must bounce

and roll).

Jo

I was wondering what type of balls do you use for flyball and where do you get them?

I'm asking this because of the topic about tennis balls damaging dogs' tooth enamel.

hello

If you approach your local tennis club, usually they have ex comp tennis balls for around $1.. If your after squash balls, the gym usually sells them to ( ex comp) for $2. i find these balls better than the $2 shops, as they seem to last.

cheers

My beagle uses raquet balls as she didnt like the felt of the tennis ball on her tongue. (however now she will play with a tennis ball, but still wont use one in flyball) It does turn out to be expensive as i normally buy new ones at $7 - $8 a ball!