Teaching Tahni 'down'.

Hi all,

I've taught Tahni (Chi, 17wks) how to sit and stay. She waits for 'OK' before coming for treats and she really seems to be getting it. We're even starting on leash etiquette (and I must say, it's surprising how much she picks up and how quickly)... but we just don't seem to be having any success in the 'Down'.

So far, I've tried to lure her from the sit position, into a down using her favourite treats. She absolutely refuses to lower her hind quarters, even with a gentle nudge.

I've tried luring her under my leg so she gets into position to get to the treat... but she short-circuits me by just going over....

I'm at a loss.

What can I do to get Tahni to do this?

:mad

Edited by tryamartimmy

There are many varied methods of teaching down - as to which you use depends on your preference as well as what works best for the dog.

If you wish to follow the "lure under your leg" to encourage the position, try having her on lead so that she is prevented from "short-circuiting" by leaping over.

In the absence of any physical limitation which might be making this position uncomfortable for her to exhibit, I would say your girl simply doesn't understand yet what position it is that will get her the treat.

Perhaps the way you are luring and/or guiding may need some adjustment to better help your girl - but for this you'd need someone with the knowledge being able to observe what you are doing and how. Eg. Maybe she needs more than a quick nudge (your "nudge" and my interpretation of it could be different) to bring her bottom down in the "lure" method? Instead, you could try to gently guide, rather than simply nudge. Her position may also be being influenced by the way you are holding the treat in your luring hand. Have it in the flat of your hand, but palm downwards. And when she's trying to nose it (thus bringing the front end down into that "bow"), slide your hand in a bit closer to her nose. This very small movement can have the effect where the dog's weight balance moves into its hind end, bringing the hind quarters down as you require.

In some cases it is the method that doesn't suit.

In many other cases, the method is quite suitable but the manner in which it is being applied by the handler needs some help.

Do you go to dog school? Your instructers there should be able to give you some guidance. Of course a private lesson is always good, but by the sounds of it you have most things going well and you probably only need a helpful hint from someone who can cast an eye rather than a full lesson, so your money may be well saved.

Edited by Erny

I followed the instructions on the back of a Schmacko's packet. Jak did it first time!

From memory I just lowered the treat from her nose height to the ground, but moved it in towards her belly area a little bit. If this helps, I just bought a book today on how to survive the first 6 months with a new pup (hahaha) and there's instructions on teaching "drop"...

1. Start your puppy in the sitting position and show him you have a liver treat (or whatever treat you use). Slowly move the treat from the pup's nose to the ground in between his front paws.

2. When pup's head goes down to the follow the treat he will drop or lie down.

3. As soon as he moves into drop position say "DROP" or "DOWN" and reward him when in position.

COMMON PROBLEMS WITH "DROP"

He just keeps standing up: Apply a small amount of pressure to his bottom so he cannot stand back up.

He won't lie down: Move the treat even further through his front paws towards his belly.

He still won't lie down: Hold the treat between his paws as instructed but hold the treat on the ground in one spot. Your pup will try to get the treat from your hand. Give him time, he will eventually drop down but be patient and don't move your hand. Remember the first time you try to teach your pup a command is always the hardest. Be patient and persistent.

I hope this helps and good luck! :-)

Ok- I haven't tried having my palm down over the treat and just waiting. Maybe I'll have some success this way....

Thanks guys!!!

I'm looking into the availability of puppy school at the moment, but am unsure of if we even have one here in Port Hedland. Hope so!!!!

Make sure that you are moving the treat really slowly too. That seemed to be the main problem when I was teaching puppy class. People whizzing the treat down. You can do it from the stand too, but the treat goes down and forwards that way.

• 2 weeks later...