Anal Furunculosis

Hi all, my GSD bitch (spayed) was diagnosed with this disease when she was four. She was put on a course of drugs which cleared it up (very expensive).

However it has just come back and this time with avengeance!! The vet virtually sat down on his chair and looked at me with this sad face and said, this is a very crappy situation to be in... So in otherwords my dog is in a lot of pain, she is about to go on a course of pills to try and give her some relief.

Now is there anyone else out there whose GSD or any breed for that matter suffering from this?? If so could you please post your experiances and what your dogs quality of life has been like?? I'd really appreciate it...

Cheers. :-(

jess 95,

Sorry about your dog having this dreaded problem and hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick.

Some years ago friends of mine had a Sheppie with this problem and their Vet suggested they have the tail removed to allow air flow through the area. They went ahead and had the surgery and it did seem to work for the dog. I don't know if Vets are still recommending such drastic action these days ?

Edited by Tapferhund

Some years ago friends of mine had a Sheppie with this problem and their Vet suggested they have the tail removed to allow air flow through the area. They went ahead and had the surgery and it did seem to work for the dog. I don't know if Vets are still recommending such drastic action these days ?

My GSD back in South Africa had to have his tail amputated. He looked a little strange, but he didn't seem to miss his tail.

The vet has recomended the cyclosporin, which is basically the miracle drug for this. However it costs a fortune!! She has a pretty severe case so we'll see how we go... They don't recomend the tail being amputated that much anymore due to the meds that are available now.

Thanks again for your posts.