Humping

Optimus

I just wanted to say that I do see how some people could think that what I said was out of line. I PMed Rhi & Jak to excuse myself if I offended her. I do realize I was sarcastic and I definitely don't want to stir any commotion on this forum.

Good for you that yours "got" it but saying no. Mine seems more spurred on by that word. Lucky me!

Try a different word like "wrong". Sometimes the word NO does not mean much to a dog as it is used in general conversation heaps. If you change the word, and say it with a stern voice, maybe the reaction will change? Or when it happens just walk away. cant play nice, dont play at all :rolleyes: I hope you have a bit more luck.

Optimus, as already said, if you dont like the behaviour try and discourage it now so it is not a problem when the dog is older.

Some puppies may grow out of it, and it could be long term for some if the behaviour is not modified early.

Mine dont hump any objects, but sometimes try to hump each other when playing, which I dont do anything about. I just let them go and play, and hump each other, and wrestle etc. If it was an object or a leg however, I would discourage it, but just IMO.

Good for you that yours "got" it but saying no. Mine seems more spurred on by that word. Lucky me!

Try a different word like "wrong". Sometimes the word NO does not mean much to a dog as it is used in general conversation heaps. If you change the word, and say it with a stern voice, maybe the reaction will change? Or when it happens just walk away. cant play nice, dont play at all :laugh: I hope you have a bit more luck.

Optimus, as already said, if you dont like the behaviour try and discourage it now so it is not a problem when the dog is older.

Some puppies may grow out of it, and it could be long term for some if the behaviour is not modified early.

Mine dont hump any objects, but sometimes try to hump each other when playing, which I dont do anything about. I just let them go and play, and hump each other, and wrestle etc. If it was an object or a leg however, I would discourage it, but just IMO.

BC, I agree. Dry humping only an issue for me is it is anything but his toy. I took his toy away for a day to wash and he didnt do it to anything else. Just played and chewed. I think it is a play thing at this stage.

My dog understand 'NO'. He stops straight away. I clap my hands loudly and yell 'NO'. He is a good puppy. He stopped trying to bite my stockings this morning when I said 'NO'.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Edited by Optimus

Snide, sarcastic? I was trying to be more lighthearted, too, hence the :laugh: symbol. I didn't read laffi's posts as nasty, either.

Can't we just disagree?

I'm sure Rhi and Jaks dog is great, but IMO humping a teddy and mouthing are undesirable behaviours that I wouldn't encourage in my dogs. I don't want them chewing what they're humping, either.

Try explaining to a child who's scared of dogs that it's "mouthing", not "biting". Also, be prepared to give some education when they ask, "What's the puppy doing to the teddy?".

The OP was asking:

What the humping behaviour means

Don't really know. Only that sometimes it can be dominant behaviour. Not necessarily, though.

Should I stop him from doing this?

If you prefer he doesn't do it, then YES. Otherwise, behaviour will continue. I've read other posters on DOL who say this humping has become an obsession in their dog. They sometimes have success just removing the toy and giving the dog something else to do.

I'm sure Rhi and Jaks dog is great, but IMO humping a teddy and mouthing are undesirable behaviours that I wouldn't encourage in my dogs. I don't want them chewing what they're humping, either.

Try explaining to a child who's scared of dogs that it's "mouthing", not "biting". Also, be prepared to give some education when they ask, "What's the puppy doing to the teddy?".

Are you just jealous that my dog is getting some and yours isn't? :D Her teddy certainly puts out if her satisfying sigh at the end of her session is anything to go by.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, I'll just add in this symbol to show that my message is "lighthearted". :rofl:

Rih & Jak, sometimes you have to be a bit firmer to stop them biting. If she starts to bite, try opening you hand wide, so she can't get a good grip. Really GROWL at her "NOOOO!!". Then get up and walk away. Keep trying this and see if it makes a difference. If not, I have found that with really insistent mouthers, squeezing their mouth shut or sort of "pinching" their top jaw when they grab your hand can work. Do the same thing though - say "NOOOO" in a really deep, growly voice and then squeeze. Again, get up and walk away. You need to make sure you say "no" before you squeeze. Eventually she will learn that when you say no, she had better stop mouthing or it will be uncomfortable for her. When she DOES let go of your hand, offer her a toy to play with instead. Good luck! :rofl:

ETA: Don't push her away when you are telling her off, or she might think its a game. Make sure YOU get up and leave. :D

Edited by Kirty

Some puppies are much more persistent with some behaviours than others unfortunately. I had a foster pup once who was a shocking mouther and it took weeks of being really firm to stop her. My dog is a jumper - even at 6yrs old now she still can't help herself sometimes and will try and jump up on you. She knows she isn't allowed to and only does a "half jump" (front legs down by her side, just enough off the ground so her head is level with your waist). :thumbsup:

Your pup sounds gorgeous and I'm sure she will get there.

Thanks BC - I have tried many things with her mouthing/nipping, including walking away to signal that play time is over etc.

I just have to keep at it :-)

I do empathies with you .

It took us a long time to stop our little biter to nip and mouth us and

yes he did his fair share of teddy humping, Not our legs though.

Although he tried it once with a lady from a removalist company that came to our house :thumbsup: so embarrassing.

With the nipping we did get results from using a water bottle and telling him no, enough! in a stern voice.

The humping well, we did not really do anything just ignored him.

Thanks BC - I have tried many things with her mouthing/nipping, including walking away to signal that play time is over etc.

I just have to keep at it :-)

I do empathies with you .

It took us a long time to stop our little biter to nip and mouth us and

yes he did his fair share of teddy humping, Not our legs though.

Although he tried it once with a lady from a removalist company that came to our house :) so embarrassing.

With the nipping we did get results from using a water bottle and telling him no, enough! in a stern voice.

The humping well, we did not really do anything just ignored him.

Thanks Miccar96 - yes it's taking me a while too haha. Whereas other stuff she has picked up really fast, this she is learning very s...l....o...w...l...y. But getting there.

OMG yes your dog trying to hump the removalist lady would have been embarassing indeed haha. You poor thing :(