Humping

Optimus

My little 14 week old likes to dry hump a stuffed toy dog. He does it after meals. He doesnt have an erection, just dry humps for 20 mins and rests at a time. Is this problem behaviour or just a play/dominance thing? Should I stop him from doing this?

Edited by Optimus

Not 100% but I personally would discourage it, as this might lead to him trying to hump legs. Benson did this too and I think it is more a play/dominance thing but still I didn't want it to become a problem later. Sorry I know that's not a great deal of help but I guess at that age you discourage all things that you don't want continuing. :mad

I agree, it is probably a dominance thing and I would discourage it as it can become obsessive behaviour. Often dogs can fixate on one item in particular - remove the item and the behaviour can stop. For my oldest dog it is a certain type of dog bed - she was constantly humping it as if her life depended on it - got rid of the bed and behaviour stopped.

It's not necc. a dominance issue. Dominance is a way over used term and people shouldn't just be chucking around the term.

Have you spoken to your breeder about the humping?

so if it is not play/dominance then what do you think it is Kaz? I know with my dog it is not sexual and is more obsessive than play and knowing how she behaves when she is trying to dominate smaller dogs and it is identical behaviour.

They can get rather obcessed with humping a particular object. If you would not like it to continue, I would try to stop it, maybe remove the object and see if that helps. You could try reprimanding and then redirecting the dog to a more desireable activity.

Jak has a large white stuffed teddy that she humps all the time. It keeps her busy and she always seems exhausted afterwards. When she's tired she doesn't bite. For me this is a good thing lol.

you mean she bites if she doesn't hump her teddy :rofl: ?

I think that humping can sometimes stem from excitement and then develop into a habit - once they start it can be difficult to stop them so I keep an eye out for warning signs - my lad will drag the blanket with his paws first.....at that point a firm, calm "Leave", followed by "Good Boy" does the trick and it's much less prevalent now :rofl: I won't be encouraging him to use a humping pillow or similar.

Jak has a large white stuffed teddy that she humps all the time. It keeps her busy and she always seems exhausted afterwards. When she's tired she doesn't bite. For me this is a good thing lol.

you mean she bites if she doesn't hump her teddy :rofl: ?

haha no - I just meant that when she's tired she doesn't seem to have the energy to bite me, so I try and wear her out all the time. But sometimes I'm worn out and she then goes nuts with the teddy. So it works well.

Here, we just tell them to stop humping shortly after it starts. The lesser-known : "NO SHAG!" command ;) . Both dogs desexed. It's not a frequent behaviour.

The little one had a brief obsession with shagging quilts. Banned from bedrooms, bedrooms doors shut, but not before he managed to ruin a few quilt covers. Kids can make shutting doors difficult, but they can be trained, too :) .

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't want to live with a biting dog who makes you glad it's humping instead of getting into some other mischief :scared:

When I say biting I don't mean that she's coming at me, teeth bared ready to rip my skin off. She's a pup and often chooses to mouth my hands rather than a toy etc. When she's tired... she does this less and less!

I don't have a problem with her humping. She's not humping my leg, or anyone else's for that matter.

Perhaps this wasn't the thread to make a "light" comment. I'll make a note for next time and stay away.

When I say biting I don't mean that she's coming at me, teeth bared ready to rip my skin off. She's a pup and often chooses to mouth my hands rather than a toy etc. When she's tired... she does this less and less!

I don't have a problem with her humping. She's not humping my leg, or anyone else's for that matter.

Perhaps this wasn't the thread to make a "light" comment. I'll make a note for next time and stay away.

I am just trying to understand and help (if I can :scared: ) I think you can teach your puppy not to mouth. Mine got it after a few "no" and ignoring her straight after. Dogs have amazing control of their jaws' precision so if you are consistent they can learn this really easily.

I would encourage other type of relaxing behavior rather than humping. I think sticking food in kong alike toys is great. Your puppy gets so work for his food, it's mental stimulation and involves chewing that dogs love. A lot of people say "my dogs don't like kongs", there is nothing to like about kongs if they are just kongs, but filled with food they become the best toy ever.

Yes I'm pretty sure you can teach your puppy not to mouth. For me it's been a long process unfortunately. She has caught on to other things very quickly, I've taught her to sit, drop, stay, wait and rollover but she won't stop mouthing me. Aeroguard, citronella, vicks even has not deterred her. Good for you that yours "got" it but saying no. Mine seems more spurred on by that word. Lucky me!

A lot of people do say that their dogs don't like kongs, and I'm one of them. Believe it or not I stuff her favourite treats in there and chock it with peanut butter. She couldn't care less. I can't force her to enjoy it or play with it and I don't happen to consider it as the best toy ever. She'd prefer a squeeky toy (or the infamous teddy), despite the fact that it doesn't contain food. Do you find it odd that she doesn't like what your dog does? Or do you contain at least SOME insight to recognise that they're all different?.

I don't consider comments such as "You can call me crazy as well" as being an effort to "understand" or "help", but thanks anyway.

Yes I'm pretty sure you can teach your puppy not to mouth. For me it's been a long process unfortunately. She has caught on to other things very quickly, I've taught her to sit, drop, stay, wait and rollover but she won't stop mouthing me. Aeroguard, citronella, vicks even has not deterred her. Good for you that yours "got" it but saying no. Mine seems more spurred on by that word. Lucky me!

A lot of people do say that their dogs don't like kongs, and I'm one of them. Believe it or not I stuff her favourite treats in there and chock it with peanut butter. She couldn't care less. I can't force her to enjoy it or play with it and I don't happen to consider it as the best toy ever. She'd prefer a squeeky toy (or the infamous teddy), despite the fact that it doesn't contain food. Do you find it odd that she doesn't like what your dog does? Or do you contain at least SOME insight to recognise that they're all different?.

I don't consider comments such as "You can call me crazy as well" as being an effort to "understand" or "help", but thanks anyway.

I don't think it was "no" that worked and taught Laffi not to mouth. I was ignoring her. "no" just helped to underline which behavior is inappropriate. When you play a lot of things are going on and so it helps to "pick" the wrong behavior.

I have to say I was very surprised by the two of your comments. It seems to me that you prefer your dog to hump the teddy. I thought it was a strange advice to give.

I do agree that all the dogs are different, and some take much more times at some stuff than others. I guess I was really surprised you were giving your example as an OK for doings humping in their spare time. I gave you a chance to explain but didn't find it any better with your second response. I found it very puzzling that you find this behavior normal. It seems that your dog can learn very quickly, mines can too. But when they don't it means I am not clear about what I am teaching them. It happens to me often and therefore I try to take few steps back and try to think "what do they think I am teaching them" rather than "how come they don't get it". It helped me heaps. Good luck.

I have to say I was very surprised by the two of your comments. It seems to me that you prefer your dog to hump the teddy. I thought it was a strange advice to give.

I do agree that all the dogs are different, and some take much more times at some stuff than others. I guess I was really surprised you were giving your example as an OK for doings humping in their spare time. I gave you a chance to explain but didn't find it any better with your second response. I found it very puzzling that you find this behavior normal. It seems that your dog can learn very quickly, mines can too. But when they don't it means I am not clear about what I am teaching them. It happens to me often and therefore I try to take few steps back and try to think "what do they think I am teaching them" rather than "how come they don't get it". It helped me heaps. Good luck.

FPS take a chill pill, they were just offering their advice from their point of view and circumstances. Afterall isn't that what this forum is about. Nothing strange bout that. I really don't mean to be nasty but why do people feel the need to challenge every little thing that is posted on here? I am sick of reading crap like this. I just wanna read peoples opinions and advice without all the drama. Stop the judging pleeeeasse and just accept we are all different and have different advice to offer.

Back to the topic darl, it really depends if you do or dont want your dog to have this behaviour. I had one of my dogs humping his toys when he was round 12 weeks we didn't read too much into it. He's 8 months now we did nothing to stop it either and he's grown out of it, can't remember the last time he humped his Garfield.

Ok, my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Both my dogs hump, they have never done it to a person, Atlas will sometimes go in his crate and hump his bedding, and when they are playing and get excited, they will try to hump each other.

I let them go. They know their place in the pack and when they have had enough they walk away.

Edited by Terrorbull