Night Walking

{(I had this posted in the Obedience/training section, but they suggested I post it in the Health section)

One cause that was suggested by the Obedience Forum was Dementia, but he seems okay at all other times.}

I have a 14 year old, very healthy and very active Jack Russell. In the last year he has lost a lot of his hearing, but is not deaf. I can also see a little clouding over his eyes, but he never bumps into things and always recognises people when they come in.

My conundrum is this: he (Rocky) sleeps in my room on his own bed (a very large, stuffed round mattress), I made it myself to make sure that if he ever suffered from arthritis and such he would always be comfortable in that bed. Generally he goes to bed when I do and goes straight off to sleep no problem and usually sleeps until someone stirs the following morning and has done this since he was a puppy. But in the last 2 weeks he has started waking up about 3 or 4am, and starts wandering the house, checking all the rooms, goes out for a wee through the doggy door. Normally he would go out then get back in his bed or if it was very cold he would climb the steps onto my bed and cuddle into my back, but now he can't seem to settle again after waking. He wanders through the house, going into my parents room and shifting the curtains (he knows that usually wakes them) eventually he will lay just inside my bedroom door, but doesn't relax, he's up again within 15 minutes doing another lap of the house. He is so pleased when someone finally gets up in the morning he runs round like a puppy. He is fine when someone gets up to go to the loo while he's up, recognises them no problem. Could his hearing loss and partial blindness be causing him anxiety in the night. I always leave the bathroom light on, so theres always a light to see by. Like I say this is a new behavioural trait and is there anything I can do to make him feel more relaxed? :)

Zoom

Edited by Guest

Night-time restlessness can be a symptom of canine cognitive disorder -'doggy dementia'- but if he is showing no other symptoms of that, like getting confused about where he is, it would be hard to say that is the problem.

Maybe a vet check is in order, there is medication for dementia I think if that is what it is, Omega 3 oils are sometimes suggested as a natural aid too.

Hope you can sort it out.

This sounds to me like your dog is just becoming an old man.

A lot of older humans also do this- get up a lot early to potter- if you will... He has grown older being used to having someone wake up with him for so long, but seeing as he's getting up earlier, maybe he's a little confused by why you aren't all up too?

Hope this makes sense?

My mum's 16yr old dog does this too. When she comes inside, she just can't settle. She will wander around aimlessly, go and lie down, then get up and start wandering again. Sometimes she will just stand in a doorway and stare into space. Her hearing and eyesight are also on the blink so not sure if its related. But she seems happy enough and never seems confused - she is just restless. I don't know if there is anything you can do, but as a PP said, omega fatty acids are supposed to help with mental functioning. :thumbsup:

Sounds possibly dementia.. There is a seniors biscuit Science Diet and others o doubt. That and fish oils can help. My old departed one was also improved dramatically through chinese medicine (by a very good vet). Which state/city are you in?

This sounds to me like your dog is just becoming an old man.

A lot of older humans also do this- get up a lot early to potter- if you will... He has grown older being used to having someone wake up with him for so long, but seeing as he's getting up earlier, maybe he's a little confused by why you aren't all up too?

Hope this makes sense?

I tend to agree with you on this, normally when he gets up, someone gets up with him either to let him out or go to the loo themselves. I also have a feeling that it may be his eye sight, as the night previous I left a "lighter" light on all night and when he got up and went out, he came straight back to his bed. Then last night I was going to do the same thing as soon as he started the "Walking" but he slept straight through until someone got up at 6.30am. I'll see how we go tonight!

Sounds possibly dementia.. There is a seniors biscuit Science Diet and others o doubt. That and fish oils can help. My old departed one was also improved dramatically through chinese medicine (by a very good vet). Which state/city are you in?

I am in Western Australia. Perth.

I would have to agree with the previous poster - part of aging. This certainly happens with humans. Is he napping more during the day than he used to?

I couldn't really say for sure if he is or not. When I am home (I am a disabled pensioner, so I don't work) he spends all his time with me. If I am painting, he usually finds a spot in the sunshine and naps the day away. But if I got outside for any reason, he comes out and has a wander round the garden.

Edited by Guest

My sisters 13 yr old boxer girl does this too. We were advised dementia / old age. She is now deaf as a post and her eyesight is failing too. Sometimes she appears very cofused in her surroundings (only at night) although they have lived in that house for about 8 yrs now. Ill follow this with interest to see if any different view points. :happydance2:

Edited by joelle

My sisters 13 yr old boxer girl does this too. We were advised dementia / old age. She is now deaf as a post and her eyesight is failing too. Sometimes she appears very cofused in her surroundings (only at night) although they have lived in that house for about 8 yrs now. Ill follow this with interest to see if any different view points. :thumbsup:

Just to let you know. The night walking has stopped??? :eek: Don't know why, apart from leaving the light on that one night I have done nothing different. He get's up (usually) once to go to the toilet and comes back, climbs the steps to my bed and curls up in the crook of my legs. When he get's too warm he goes back to his own bed. I'm not complaining, I just found it all rather peculiar.

Thanx for all your input! :laugh: