Getting Desexed Today!

Lil Miss LeiLani

Hi everyone,

Zorro is getting desexed today ! OH dropped him off at the vet at 7.30 this morning - and I called the vet at about 9.30 to make sure he was okay - they said he will go in anytime after 10am, and to call at about 2pm to see how he's doing !!

Wish I knew how he is !!! I am finishing work early today and was thinking about picking him up at about 4pm - but it would just be me on my own and no-one to sit in there with him in the backseat - so i was wondering if I should wait until OH gets home from Tafe at 5.30 and we go together and pick him up so one of us can sit with him in the back. He usually gets very excited in the car so I don't want him being tempted to jump around if he feels up to it.

What experience have you had ? (he's a 7.5mth old border collie male pup!)

I picked Kayla up on my own after her desexing, she was so snoozy I had to carry her out of the vet office to the car, she didn't want to walk. :) So she was fine travelling in the car. Not sure if Zorro will be the same but I imagine he will be pretty out of it.

I was thinking I wonder if I have to carry him too - he's 20kg so a bit heavy! I said to the vet that I would ring at about 3-3.30 and see how he is doing to decide what to do. I"m going to ring now & see how he is.

I imagine he would be a bit dopey. I'm gonna ring the vet now & see how it went !! Cant wait anymore!

We are just going to keep him in his crate for the day - and let him out to go toilet and have some fresh air.

Do we feed him normally tonight ? (he had to fast this morning - so he hasn't eaten today).

I am sure he will be fine, i have had a heap of pets desexed, all drove home in the back seat, the vets normally wont let a dog out until it is up and walking.

Just one thing, about the crate for tomorrow, just be careful! i did this for kaos and she caused a lot of damage to herself! i was worried about having her outside the day after the operation, so crated her, she went nuts and tore some stitches out, got her fixed up and let her outside the next day, no problems, i also did obedience with her 2 days after that.

Best of luck keeping him quite!

As Tahni is my first dog (and entire at 5 months), I can't yet tell you what to expect.... But I HAVE had two cats desexed and boy was THAT an experience!

The vet told us that they would be relatively drowsy and poorly coordinated from the anaesthetic wearing off. They said they'd be quiet and probably not want to eat much.

Well!

We got our kitties home and let them out of their crate in the living room (both equipped with very cool elizabethian buckets), where they spent the next half hour alternating between desperately trying to get out of their buckets, and trying to walk in a straight line. Later that night (after a whole tin of cat food- I know, little fatties), we heard a loud thump and came out to investigate. One of our Kitties had decideded that seeing as she could feel no pain, she must be wonder-cat and was in the process of climbing to the top of the fridge for another round of 'flying'.

She tore a stitch and we had to isolate her then take her back to the vet the next morning.

I think what I'm trying to say here is, you never really know how your animal is going to react, so it might be a good idea to wait for OH. It might save you some moolah.

I can't really offer any advice but Zorrow will be just fine.

I was quite anxious the morning of Jorja's procedure especially because she was only three months and so "vulnerable". Plus the shelter wouldn't realease her to come home with us till she was desexed so I felt helpless :thumbsup: But she is just fine now.

My standard poodle was also 20kg when he was desexed last month. He was a bit dopey-sleepy the evening afterwards (he was done later in the day), but recovered very well.

If he starts licking the stitches, what's the plan? e.g. Elizabethan collar? Our vet lent me one to use, just in case, but he didn't lick stitches excessively, so I didn't need it. Took stitches out myself after 10 days.

Vet will have an info sheet- things like light meal night of surgery, no jumping up allowed etc.

I've not noticed any difference in him at all. My other dog was desexed at about 6 months with no problems, either.

Best wishes. Am sure he'll be fine :thumbsup: .

How is Zorro going?

Hardest part is trying to get them to keep quiet a couple of days after the operation.

Oh yes, remember to not take Zorro to off leash parks or around other strange dogs.

I have always found that a few hours after returning from the vets the dogs are up and at it.

Keep us updated.

I am sure Zorro is doing well. It must have been quite stressful waiting around to pick him up.

Did you have to carry him? Was he all drowsy? Was it hard leaving him there at the vet?

Anxious to hear how it all went as I will be getting it done for 2 in 2 weeks time.

My 4 1/2 month old Aussie Shepherd boy gets his dangly bits removed on Friday. My husband keeps looking at him saying (in a sickly, whiny, pitiful voice) "Poooooor, POOOOOOOOR ole boy!"

I hope he's able to walk (dog that is, not husband) by the time I collect him cos I lifted him out of the bath last night and I don't think my back will ever be the same.

How is Zorro? Recovered OK?

Update on zorro !!

We picked him up from the vet at about 5.45 last night - he was up and walking - little bit floppy but not too much. Vet said that it all went really well & he didnt even miss a heart beat. The vet said she never has seen a dog recover and wake up straight after the anaesthetic like zorro.

He was able to walk to the car, i had OH in the backseat with hiim so he didnt jump around. We did get an Elizabethan collar for him as he kept wanting to go to where the stitches are, so in order to prevent him pulling them out - we got the collar. We take him back in 2wks to get teh stitches out. We brought him home & took him out for a wee - but he didnt need to go. Obviously he hadn't had anything to drink or eat all day so prob didn't need to. we then put him in his crate - he did do a bit of whinging though and wanted to come out. We gave him half his normal dinner meal at about 8pm - he gobbled that down quick smart !!!

Then put him back to sleep again, after taking him out for more water & toilet.

This morning, we fed him, took him out to toilet - he tried jumping up a few times, but we quickly made sure he didnt do that again. He has 3 stitches - all still in place as of this morning. I'm at work today, we've got OH's brother & sister who arrived from Greece on Fri night at home with him to keep an eye on him.

Definately no dog parks, & no exercise or rough play for one week.

So, glad to report he is all good !!! Can't wait to go home and see him tonight !! I'm feeling like a flu is coming, so I might even head home early myself & get a bit of a nap in this arvo. Will see how I feel after doing some work.

Thanks for all your concern!!!!!

Great to hear that he is ok. Our puppy had a hernia op yesterday and the poor little thing has coped really well and seems fine.

Can I ask you how much the desexing cost? We are going to have ours done at 6 months but may need to save up again as the hernia op just cost us $877 :happydance2:

Our little Herwin just had his snip yesterday, so I'm anxiously watching him today. He still doesn't seem very happy, his ears and tail are still down. :happydance2: He is being very sleepy and slow today, no sign of playing at all, poor baby. He has been licking quite a lot today, but I think it is mostly around the wound, not the actual stitches. Is this okay or should I start fashioning him an elizabethan collar? I'm relieved he hasn't had to have one yet as I hated seeing my cat in one.

I hope that Zorro is doing okay today. Hopefully they're both feeling better soon.

Oh sorry luckymum I forgot. It cost us $150 for the desexing and we had him microchipped at the same time and that was another $50. So it's not as bad as your previous op, gee that's a lot, what a shock for you, and poor puppy. :happydance2: