Circling / Anxiety Related

Hi all

Hoping someone may be able to assist or shed light on a minor (?) problem with my one year old German Shorthair Pointer. From a young age she has had a tendancy to circle when anxious or excited. Interestingly enough she will only circle in a counter clockwise direction. This may result in tight circling when indoors or broad circling when running on the beach or in backyard.

Any ideas on how to curb this behaviour or comments on why she only cirlcles in the one direction (or at all)?

Cheers

Rob

Am able to break her out of the behaviour but am usure of when or if to reward after she stops. Don't want her to think she is being rewarded for the circling. My sense is that I need a distraction cue and to only reward her when she has totally calmed but would like some opinion on this.

Shes not a real tail chaser and generally moves in her own circle but will circle me at times if I am in her radius.

Rob

One of the most important things you can do is NOT to make a big deal out of it, because this will, in turn, only serve to teach the dog to increase both the frequency and the urgency in performing the behaviour.

One method that might work to help break your dog of the habit is to quietly and without speaking take hold of her collar once she goes into a spin, and bring her to sit quietly beside you until she relaxes. Then, again without a word, simply release her. If she starts again, react exactly the same way. If she really starts to get excited, simply walk away from her. She has to learn that her behaviour is incorrect, and undesirable. With dogs, actions tend to speak louder than words, as they don't speak English and don't understand commands like, "stop it!" etc. So you need to show her what you would like her to do (that is, stop spinning) and how you would like her to do it (by sitting quietly next to you). There is no need for an additional reward. Her reward is you quietly letting go of her collar.

It sounds like an anxiety behaviour to me (and by anxiety, I don't mean necessarily stressed out - I simply mean a heightened state of arousal). There is certainly the potential for that behaviour to escalate, and dogs are great at doing what gets them the most response. So, show her the correct behaviour (sitting quietly) and don't respond her when she does this. Any response from you she will see as an affirmation of her behaviour.

Other people will have different suggestions, and any of those could work for your dog. But this is the method I would use. Good luck! :)

Edited by Faolmor

I'd be inclined to simply distract/break the behaviour and not add to the fuss by reward - and only show/give reward when she is in a totally relaxed mode.

How much exercise does your dog receive on a daily basis?

Are you her "leader"?

Tango circles (in mid air usually :) ) but only when he's trying to watch everything at the same time in all directions just as we start off in the car, but then lies down within 500mtrs, or if he gets really excited because I'm going to take him for a walk. I just stand there doing and saying nothing looking at the ceiling till the behaviour extinguishes and this now happens very quickly as he understands that nothing happens till he stops. The other thing that I found works well is to walk out of the room or away from the dog if outside without a word.........behaviour ceases almost instantly.

Is soon as I read the subject heading I immediately thought "GSP". Wish I'd put money on it!! :):laugh:

Although I've never owned a GSP I've seen circling behaviour in a number of them. We have one at work that is particularly compulsive with regard to this behaviour. I think the key is exactly what Erny has described.

Distract her from or break the behaviour by giving her a commnd to do something else. Reward calm and non-circling behaviours.

Good luck!

Interestingly enough she will only circle in a counter clockwise direction.

I've come across several dogs that circle as you've described and believe it is rare to find one that does it in both directions.

I agree with Tangyn in that it certainly seems to be a genetic trait amongst (some) GSP's. I've encountered several that respond to even mild stimulation in this way and 2 of the best dogs I've ever shot Quail over worked in circles the entire time.

I'd be inclined to just accept it as part of the dog's makeup unless it's causing you problems (on lead tying you in knots, etc..) in which case giving the dog something to do instead of circling (heel, etc...) would be the go.

Thanks everyone for their advice. It's not a big problem but would be nice to curtail to some degree.

Exercise-wise Elsa goes for two beach runs on every weekday (about 2km each) and two longer beach runs (about 7 -8km each) on the weekend. She handles this with ease and runs her little mate Butch the red kelpie into the ground.

I would probably say my girlfreind would be her 'leader'.

Thanks everyone for their advice. It's not a big problem but would be nice to curtail to some degree.

Exercise-wise Elsa goes for two beach runs on every weekday (about 2km each) and two longer beach runs (about 7 -8km each) on the weekend. She handles this with ease and runs her little mate Butch the red kelpie into the ground.

I would probably say my girlfreind would be her 'leader'.

My word.........I am not that impressed with a dog running that far, but.............you. 7-8kms on Saturdays and Sundays!!!

Is Elsa on lead?

When does she normally spin, obviously not while running next to you, except if you have suffered falls as a result?

You inspire me to rejoin the local gym. Heck, I feel like practicing by running to the letter box.